Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Type ahead using a value list not working

fmsavey

This topic is 4559 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I defined a value list, called "client names" from a text field that is indexed and chose, includes all values. On a layout that displays the same field, from which the value list is defined, as a related field (no portal) I defined the field to display as a drop down list using values from "client names". This field can only be entered in find mode by the way.

I wanted to use the "auto-complete using value list" but the inspector will not allow me to check off this option and the option is not dimmed. I don't understand why. From what I have read using the Help tool this should be possible.

Have I missed something? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Posting the file seemed more trouble then it was worth. It is a hosted file in beta for a large international firm with lots of confidential data, 60+ tables, 100+ relationships using ESS etc. etc. and the change I was trying to make seemed ridiculously simple, so posting the file was not an option. I thought about recreating just the parts involved and that seemed more trouble then it was worth too so I began just trying different things.

What I failed to mention originally is that the field is a calculation. It concatenates two text fields with a text result. Now in my mind this should not have made any difference but it did. When I changed the field on the layout to show data from one of the two concatenated fields it allowed me to check off the "auto-complete using value list". I then changed the field back to the calculated field and now it is working as intended. To me this is a bug until someone explains to me otherwise

Anyway, thank you everyone for looking.

• 2 months later...

I somehow missed this response. I would like to replicate this 'bug'. Are you still using version 10? That is one version I do not have (and don't want). It would help also if you listed your platform.

This topic is 4559 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.