Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FileMaker and Perl script?

This topic is 4573 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I have a database that is storing people, object, and measurement information. The people's information are actually extracted from a non-FM file via a Perl code. The information is temporarily stored in a .csv file and then imported into the database. I was wondering if it is possible to integrate this Perl code with my FM database. I would like to have the user select the non-FM file and the file path will be send to my Perl code, which will then go ahead and run its course. It seems like you can only select FM file through the database.

Any suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

There are Filemaker plugins for PHP and JAVA, but I don’t know of any for Perl…although a Perl or Python plugin would sure be great. I wish Filemaker would include built in support for JAVA, Perl, or Python. Sure would make Filemaker nearly limitless. What about applescript support executing Perl?

I would like to have the user select the non-FM file and the file path will be send to my Perl code, which will then go ahead and run its course.

I believe this can be accomplished using OS-level scripting. Look at the Send Event script step, and also in the Windows Automation section here:

http://fmforums.com/forum/forum/30-windows-automation/

Thank you for all the suggestions. I am not quite familiar with OS scripting and was not too successful with the Send Event script step. What I did instead was to get the file path and export that information into a text file. I then directed the Perl code to get the file path from the text file. I believe this should work. Thanks.

This topic is 4573 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.