Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Is this a career?

This topic is 8370 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hey kids.

I've built a couple of databases for clients, and have become the database administrator at my day-job. I have done all of this just by "playing" with Filemaker - no training - which is one of the beauties of FM. I have a working knowledge of many other office applications (no other databases), and a little less operating system knowledge.

My question: Is this enough to build a career/business on? Do I need to take a bunch of courses to learn other software and networking? I know that every little bit helps, and I have no intention of just sitting back on my laurels, but I'm just wondering how solid my future is with my current knowledge.

Any, many and all replies would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Paul

That's pretty much the same boat i'm in, except i don't question whether i'm going to make a career out of it our not. I'm just gonna make money with it until my real career takes off (ROCK AND ROLL BABY!!!!).

Anyway, i just say go for it. Grab a couple of accounts that are tough. If you can meet the challenges, keep it going. I think that with all Computer Technology jobs, someone that learns how to do it, whether they have been certified or not, been to school or not, can make a career out of it. For One, technology is always changing so whoever knows it is in high demand. Two, that's how all this tech pretty much got started anyway, so the trend continues.

If you WANT this to be your career, I'd learn as much as i could, take some one to two day classes as needed, go to a seminar every year, etc. Anticipate what you think you will need, and learn it before you need it.

Of course, all this coming from a guy that'd rather be playing guitar right now (though atleast FM keeps me not bored during the day and has pretty much supported my family and then some for 10 months with 3 raises during that time).

Just an opinion from a guy that likes to give 'em.

jeremy

This is a tough call. First the requiments depend upon whether you intend to become a captive resource (employee) doing FM or an indpendent consultant/developer. There are really two parts to being an independent. First is the technical skills and second is running a small business. In many ways the technical skills are a given and in no way guarantee success. I would say over 50% of success is business ability. The best independents I know have a strong technical/math background (computer science or engineering degrees) and small business experience.

When you make the decision to go independent, one of the first thing to realize is that a consulting rate per hour can't be compared to an employee's salary rate per hour. For the same standard of living, the your gross sales need to be about double what your salary was to cover your expenses (self employment tax, equipment, travel, medical, retirement, etc.). The continual quest for independents is to get enough billable hours. Non-billable hours are easy to come by: accounting, marketing, computer maintenance, FM Forums, etc.

-bd

I agree with LiveOak. I've been an independent developer/consultant for 15 years now. Lots of advantages, but you have to be a jack of all trades and be relentless about either billable time, or canned solutions. I wouldn't have it any other way!

I agree with LiveOak either but their is more then billing hours, it depends on what you planned to do consultant is more a billing time job but if you sold something made with FMP is very different and easier to plan for your future job/company.

Anyway selling something bring always a support/consultant extra job for your company.

I was/am in the same boat as you. I recently took the plunge and am doing FMP developing fulltime. I worked for a company that used Macs and FMP and then backwards migrated to Windoze and Access. In the meantime I did a few FMP Projects on the side through word of mouth and then decided to promote myself . I got some responses and took the plunge. It sounds to me like you have enough knowledge to get going. I think the most important thing is can you get the work? Once you start developing fulltime you gain knowledge and learn new things. That's half the fun for me. I think it's great. It's like on the job training except you're the boss. Don't question your ability to the point you get discouraged. Just do what it takes. Get a few projects and dive in. When you get stuck you can get on the net and find what you need and add it to your bag of tricks or just figure it out. Now that I am fulltime I am also developing new/better work habits as far as developing goes that I didn't really worry about before. Before it was more like a hobby.

Anyway, good luck and go for it.

My own advice is to do two main things here:

1) develop a 'shrinkwrap' type product you can use in demos and advertise in bulk.

2) work on customising versions of number#1 above for specific customers.

Spin-offs of number two will be where you make your most money unless you have developed a 'killer app' that needs no attention for number#1.

The MOST important thing here is when you advertise/demo/sell/promote your solution, it MUST look good. Spend a lot of time on the interface and consitency. Most clients by 'books' by their 'covers'. This is becasue they are non-technical. However, your solution must also be technically sound.

Hope this advice helps...

Cheers,

Bill

This topic is 8370 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.