Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Giving up my solution

This topic is 8126 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have a somewhat complex 30 file solution that I use for my office. I have been told over and over by persons seeing it, "you should market it" but the idea of actually marketing it, providing support, upgrades etc is more than I care to do as my current field takes all my energy. As I have seen the "off the shelf" stuff, I think my solution can provide some competition. I would be glad, however, to just let someone else do the marketing, support etc and just give to codes etc to them for royalties or other arangements. Is this feasable? Any ideas how to get in touch with such a person or company?

Unfortunately, if you have a solution that works fine for you and you wish to market it, you are about 10% of the way there. Generalizing the solution of appeal to a wide consumer base, testing it on different platforms with a bunch of different printers, creating the documentation, beta testing on a few sites, creating a marketing plan, and marketing the solution are most of the effort. If you can find someone to take over your solution, expect them to want the lions share of all revenues.

-bd

• 1 month later...

On that note, suppose I have a solution that I sell to one client. I want to be able to sell that solution again, because there is a small market for this solution. Are there standardized documents that I should be aware of? I did design the solution for the original client, so does he have any legal ownership or rights to the solution? Are those considerations that I should take up with the client?

Thanks for all the great insight.

Ken

This topic is 8126 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.