Strange Japanese (?) characters appearing

This topic is 4444 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi everyone and excuse me please if I seem ignorant of the inner workings of Filemaker.

I stuck together my database a couple of years ago when my brain was younger, fresher and it took me the best part of 2 months !!

We use it for writing invoices and creating quotations for my wife's business.

It has worked absolutely brilliantly and I think FM is a wonderful bit of software.

However I have just upgraded my wife's computer to Mac operating system OS10.7 (Lion) and suddenly a strange thing seems to be happening.

This only happens on her computer and not on mine running OS10.6.8.

When she uses one of the little drop down calendars to insert a date it begins fine but when the date appears on the page the year appears is in Japanese/Chinese Kanji characters.

(I have attached an image of the characters)

post-105994-0-90928700-1327313474_thumb.

I have, of course, checked the language prefs etc in her computer and that all seems ok.

Anyone else had this problem or know of a solution ?

Check the file for corruption: first save a compressed copy. If still bad then recover the file. Make a backup first.

FMP 9 is was not certified for 10.6, and it's probably broken with 10.7. Download the trial version of FMP 11 (free) and see if it's better on the Lion machine.

OK guys that does seem to work !

Downloaded the trial version of Filemaker 11 onto my wife's computer (Running Mac OS10.7) and the funny little Kanji characters disappeared.

But, and it's a big BUT, it will cost me £155 GBP to upgrade from FM9 to FM11 !!

That's a lot of money to just fix some odd characters appearing on our invoices !?

Is there not a simple workaround ?

This topic is 4444 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.