Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Customizing merge fields

fantasmamore

This topic is 4398 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello all!

I have a database with a number of fields. I have designed a print layout and I used merged fields. Here's an example:

Title1<<field1>>,

Author: <<field2>>

<<field3>>, is happy with <<field4>>... and so on.

Which is great, I can format the fields as I like, I don't care if a field contains 3 words or 3 paragraphs, because everything is so flexible. But there are times that a field like field2 is empty. Then the output becomes

Jason makes a new friend

Author:

Jason, is happy with his new friend...

Yeah, I know, stupid example, but you see where I am going... If field 2 is blanc, then the print output turns out a bit strange. Is there any way to tell the db that **if <<field2>> is blanc then don't display it**? Could I write something like <<Author: field2>> so that I make everything disappear if the specific field is empty?

And another question.

Can I use a background colour for my merge fields that covers all the width? I want it to be dynamic, so if I have only a couple of words, the background will be one line, but if I have two lines of content, then the background for the specific field will automatically become two lines. Just as the example in the attached image. I don't want to "highlight" the content, I want to use a background...

I am not sure if any of the above is possible. However thank you for reading this and for your help!

post-106057-0-92193100-1329389983_thumb.

• 1 month later...

Conditional formatting works with Merge Fields.

Right click and select conditional formatting. Add a condition. Make the Condition "Formula is" and just put a 1 in the field to the right of that. Then select your fill color. The fill will be dynamic.

That what you're looking for?

Christopher

This topic is 4398 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.