Server Maintenance This Week. ×

downgrade from .fp7 to .fp5

This topic is 4439 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello everybody,

so sorry to start my first topic with a help request...

I need to downgrade a file from .fp7 to .fp5...I have created a database with file maker pro, it has to run in all the hospitals of a region in Italy...unfortunately some of the wards works with FMP 5.5 and I have to downgrade it...

Anyone has suggestions?

thank you everybody and please forgive my bad english skills.

Marco.

version 7 is not backwards compatible, meaning you will have to write your files in version 5. Any information in the v7 file you want, will have to be exported, and then imported into version 5 file.

Question, is why do you want to do this? FileMaker Pro fp5 doesn't run on Lion (Mac OSX 10.7) To go backwards will probable be more complicated then it is to go the opposite direction.

Lee

• Newbies

Thank you Lee for your reply!

well, I had to create a database for a clinical study, that has to be run in several hospitals of my region. I created the database using FMP11. There is not a single record yet, but I worked hard...I'm a total newbie of FMP...unfortunately I just discovered some hospital run just the 5.5 version of FMP...so, I imagine the unique solution is to write again the database in FMP5....

Maybe using FMP7 or a earlier version, have I a single possibility to save my database in fp.5?

Hi Marco,

You have some options open to you, that you should explore before you do a complete rewite of your file.

Start by updating your profile to reflect what platform and operating system you're using. it would also be helpful to know where you're located so that if we were to iChat or use the chat Room here, we know what the differences in our hours would be.

To do this, go to the top right-hand of your browser, and click on the little down arrow next to your name.

Select the My Profile from the list, which will then take you to your profile page.

You will then notice (at least in my browser) is a BIG black button labeled Edit my Profile, This will take you to the page where you can edit those things that need to be changed. When completed, simply save your changes. Let me know if you have a problem.

Lee

Maybe using FMP7 or a earlier version, have I a single possibility to save my database in fp.5?

I am afraid that's not possible. Some of your work, I think, can be salvaged by exporting a record from each table and opening the exported files (in Merge or XML format) in version 6. That would reconstruct your data fields and tables - but not your calculations, relationship, layouts, scripts, value lists and anything else I have missed.

---

P.S. Version 5.5 is really old and I would think twice before investing any resources into making my solution compatible with it.

Edited by comment

• Newbies

Thank you Lee, I updated my profile! If there is some option, I will give a try!

Thank you comment, I know that version 5.5 is very old, but unfortunately is not a choice to upgrade it...as i wrote the database will be used to collect clinical records I will use for a study, I do not have any control on the platform and software my collegues use in local hospitals...so I have to make it compatible with windows and FMP 5.5...

Fortunately the calculations and relationships are very few and simples, I'll take your option for a try! thank you so much.

Instant Web Publishing (IWP) is an in-built feature of FileMaker Pro, FileMaker Pro Advanced and FileMaker Server Advanced (note: NOT FileMaker Server). It can deliver your screens, almost exactly as they exist in FileMaker, as web pages and can deliver your solution without the need for clients to buy FMP - they just need a web browser, and you need a "server" to deliver from.

There a number of features that do not work in IWP, for example printing of reports and exporting data, but if your solution is purely data capture then it might work well.

To deliver the solution I suspect you will need a hosting service - just google "filemaker hosting" for a list.

Please read the documents that came with your FileMaker as there is one dedicated to IWP. You can test your solution on your own computer at the same time as using IWP - all you need to do is enable the IWP features.

See also the FileMaker web site.

This topic is 4439 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.