Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Has anyone setup a good barcode system?

This topic is 8112 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have tried to setup a good barcode scanning system with Filemaker but it does not seem to work well.

What I am trying to do is setup a retail check out station system like at a grocery store. I want the cashier to scan barcoded items in quickly without any keyboard interaction between each item.

Right now when a barcode is scanned the stock number is read into the field but the cursor just sits in the same field and does not move to the next line item in my portal. The only way to get the cursor to move is to hit the TAB key on the keyboard. This slows down the check out process majorly if 100 items are being scanned.

Is this possible with Filemaker?

Thanks

The key is picking a scanner which allows the insertion of a preable and postscript which preceed and follow the actual information scanned. The concept is to program a Command-1 (Control-1 on the PC) as a preable and a Command-2 (Control-2 on the PC) as a postscript. This triggers one script, enters the scanned information, and then triggers the second script. The two required scripts as are select to appear as first two displayed scripts in the Scriptmaker menu. Additionally, since scripts in FM are re-entrant, you must use flags to prevent a second execution before the first is complete.

These scripts can be as simple as a "Go to Field" or trigger very complex processes to enter data in multiple files. They can automatically navigate to a layout or be context sensitive to the layout you are on.

Not all scanners allow preambles and postscripts, some are VERY difficult to program, some don't allow the Command or Control alterations to be programmed. The scanner I like the best is the Unitech MS690WA-1. It works with Macs, PCs (both std and PS2 keyboards), and with USB using an iMate adapter. Maker sure you buy it from SNX (www.snx.com) as the standard Taiwan manual is unreadable, the SNX provided one is VERY good.

If you have detailed questions, you can contact me.

-bd (Brent Dussia)

Live Oak Systems

(760) 728-7046

[email protected]

• 1 month later...

quote:

Originally posted by Ray:

I have tried to setup a good barcode scanning system with Filemaker but it does not seem to work well.

What I am trying to do is setup a retail check out station system like at a grocery store. I want the cashier to scan barcoded items in quickly without any keyboard interaction between each item.

Right now when a barcode is scanned the stock number is read into the field but the cursor just sits in the same field and does not move to the next line item in my portal. The only way to get the cursor to move is to hit the TAB key on the keyboard. This slows down the check out process majorly if 100 items are being scanned.

Is this possible with Filemaker?

Thanks

Sorry for the last empty message.

You can configure your scanner to add an horizontal tab after the code you scan. This way you can go to the next field in your layout.

This topic is 8112 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.