Runtime and Filemaker Licensing Confusion

This topic is 4016 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I'd like to share a very important discussion that i came across regarding the limitations of a runtime solution as stated in the FMA license agreement:

http://homebasesoftware.wordpress.com/2012/04/15/filemaker-12-databases-want-to-be-free/#comment-411

This is very important and the License agreement is unclear regarding a single user and non-odbc methods of connecting to data sources.

It looks like this is allowed but I'll be happy to get some opinions..

tnx:)

I see a lot of FUD in that comment thread. Why don't you post the part of the EULA that concerns you and let's address one question at at time.

Let's try to break the EULA down to simple matters. You can sell run-time solutions made in FileMaker Pro so long as you did NOT purchase the education/non-profit license. As long as you own the retail version of the software, sell anything you want.

The EULA may point out some specific scenarios, but in general (and honestly) don't worry about it.

The official statement:

2C: Middleware and Multiple Client Access. You are prohibited from using the

Software with any middleware, application server, CGI, or other software or technology

that allows more than a single client to access any database, except as expressly permitted

under Sections 1C or 2B. Runtime versions developed with FileMaker Pro Advanced

or other tools may not be guests of the Software.

1C: Alternative License Grant for Storage/Network Use. As an alternative to

the rights granted in Section 1A, you may store or install the Software on one storage

device (e.g., a network server or terminal server) and allow individuals within your

business or entity to access and use the Software over an internal private network,

provided that you acquire and dedicate a license for each separate client or computer on

which the Software is used or installed from the storage device. The Software may not

be shared or used concurrently on different clients or computers.

2B: Web Browsers and Other Clients. You may not allow more than five (5)

non-FileMaker Pro clients (e.g., web browsers or other programs) to concurrently access

the Software.

By the way, I despise EULAs :)

The part that is bothering me is:

You may not distribute any companion technologies or Plug-ins (e.g., the web publishing components, the FileMaker ODBC/JDBC sharing component that enables FileMaker to be a data source, or FileMaker Mobile) or ODBC import filters with the Runtime or your Runtime Solutions, except for the items covered by Extras in Section 1©, including External Function Plug-ins examples and files built from templates and sample files.

My runtime uses a plugin that backup the data on a remote SQl server - not with odbc.

I also use import from files on the web and ftp to store files on the web.

And yes - I can uses the same resources to share data between single! users or between the runtime and real fm clients - or even a web servie that uses the same that is backed-up on the sql server...

I just need to know that i'm not in any violation of the agreement.

tnx

You may not distribute the FileMaker ODBC/JDBC sharing component that enables FileMaker to be a data source.

This means you can not distribute FileMaker, Inc.'s driver. The driver enables FileMaker to be a data source.

If you are simply doing an export and having SQL import that, then you're fine.

From what you've described, it sound like you're simply importing and exporting, which is allowed. I agree with Steven, just call FileMaker and ask.

Called FM, the word I got from the rep was that if you are wanting to distribute a runtime which utilizes a third party plugin, refer to that plugin developer to find out their policy on the topic. Makes sense.

Sure, but third party plugin licensing is a separate issue. I don't recall seeing any plugin licenses limit how you choose to use them -- only how you distribute them (i.e., that you pay for the intended usage).

Indeed the plugin i'm using does not have any limitation regarding its usage...

Thank you all for your help!

Now I know I can continue with what I'd planned.

Thank you :)

• 10 months later...

This topic is 4016 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.