Appletalk Network!!!

slchandler

This topic is 8229 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Can anyone help!!!

I have a small Mac network running on Appletalk/Ethernet. I wish to share a Filemaker database which is on a PC in the office, with all the Macs as well. I have put PC Maclan on the PC and I can see it on the Appletalk network. However the Filemaker on the PC won't let me share the database over an Appletalk network. Does anyone have a protocol for this or know how I can get round it?

For Your Info: I am using Windows 98 on the PC and OS 9.1 on the Macs. I can't run the Macs on a TCP/IP network as they all have a seperate internet connection (e.g. ADSL, ISDN etc.)

Since you can no longer use IPX with the newer versions of FM, I don't know of a solution. Why would you have users on the same network purchasing separate ISDN and ADSL connections?

The solution might be to pool the money being spent for separate high speed internet connections and purchase a single high speed service, then switch everyone to TCP/IP.

-bd

Hi, I think I can see your problem. If you have your TCPIP connection pointing at the modem port for a dial-up connection, you can't have a simultaneous IP connection to your local network.

You can set up the location manager to switch between the two - it only takes a moment, but it's a one-or the other choice.

The other solution is to approach it from a different direction - have your Internet connection on the network through, say, a 3-com or cisco router or iSDN card and Vicom software, both of which work with iSDN dial-up access.

You then create an 'internal' IP network which give access to all the desktop computers and shared Internet access.

regards, Jeff

This topic is 8229 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.