Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Sub Summary Report needs to show Expenses Line Item from another table

This topic is 4357 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I have a sub summary report showing open projects for my client.

And everything is great; Client, then under the client I show all their open project with a total due.

However, I'm trying to add a sub summary under each project listing all expenses associated to each project. And since each expense is in the Expense Line Items Table how can I build the Sub Summary Report to show each expense listed under their respective project ? Hmm ...

All the tutorials that have visuals ( I need visuals ) show sub summary reporting when all records and field are in one table. There is a tutorial in Filemaker Forms that is really confusing and I can not seem to follow it a this moment. ( No pics )

I tried building the report the other way using calculation and lookup to put information into the Expense Line Items Table, but that only create double data and unnecessary clutter, I would really like to keep my expense table clean.

The best I can get is only one of the line items to show up, please see pic. Totaling the line items per project and adding them to the total project is complete.

Is there a way to show each of the Expense Line Items under each project in my projects table Sub Summary Report ??

Any assistance here would be grateful.

Thank you.

SubSummary.pdf

Is there a way to show each of the Expense Line Items under each project in my projects table Sub Summary Report ??

Your report should be moved to the LineItems table. Your leading parts would be (in this order): Customer, Project. The same fields can be used (just place Customer Name from Customers in the leading Customer part) but the body would then display the LineItems.

Summary fields in LineItems will take care of the totals. :^)

Thank you.

So, I have to work backwards in a sense. Body will list my project expenses and I should be able to total them in the expense table, the sub summary for Projects now needs a total which is not in the expense line items table, yikes! I guess I could build a relationship, would that work?? and the sub summary for Clients is not in the expense line items table either, yikes again! I have the client and project id's in the expense line items. Another relationship, yikes! It sure would be nice to have the universe do things my way for a change, maybe one day I suppose :-) I'll let you know what happens, again thank you.

Tom

So, I have to work backwards in a sense.

In a sense, yes ... you need to produce your report from the lowest (most detail) level, which is your lineitems table. But I am not sure why you think you need additional relationships - your primary TOG should work just as well. That same summary field you create in LineItems, when placed in your Projects leading part, will produce the right total; same with placing that summary up in Clients leading part.

If still stuck, it might help if you can zip and attach a copy of your file (or create a simple example). :)

This topic is 4357 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.