IF Statements

This topic is 8369 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have the following dillema. We have a database of all of our Opportunity Bulletins (OB) for our department. I would like hiring sups to be able to complete a form on a our intranet and the information from that form is submitted directly into the OB database. The problem i have is this.... The first field the submitter types in is a 'Position Number' field. I would like to set up my coding so that once this number is typed, the system will look it up in the database and if a bulletin already exists with that 'Position Number' then it brings back and fills in the form fields for that position according to the data that is in the database. BUT, if there is not an existing 'Position Number' in the database it brings them to a form with empty fields so that can complete the form. Can I do some kind of IF statement in my HTML coding to get this to work? If so, HOW??? Thank!

Get the web user to fill out a form with just the number at first. In the database, validate that number field to be Unique. When the user submits the form, if it already exists the error.html file is returned: put the "form for existing numbers" in this file. If the number is not already used, the user receives the format file specified in the Format CDML tag: put the "form for new numbers" in this file.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Newbies

How about if you first let them search with the number, and return the search results to them with some relevant fields only. Then they can select the one they want to edit, and do so in the next format file.

Too simple for your needs?

[ May 10, 2001: Message edited by: FRoerink ]

• 2 weeks later...

This topic is 8369 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.