Server Maintenance This Week. ×

How's FMP for Windows faring?

paddy

This topic is 8397 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I'm considering developing and distributing a FMP solution I currently use on the Mac platform. The majority of the intended market uses Windows machines and I would like to develope it using FMP so as not to have to reinvent too many wheels. However, primarily being a Mac user, I need to have a better feel for the long term 'robustness' of FMP for Windows. I guess I'm looking for an unbiased assessment of FMP's market status. Before I invest too much time I'm trying to come to terms with the possibility of a worst case scenario such as a succesfully distributed product (and the support implications of that) and the sudden loss of the underlying software engine.

Thanks

I've just done a bit of development on Mac for deployment on PC. The biggest PITA is the different way windows are handled on PCs. Unlike on a Mac, each db appears as a window inside the FMP application window. Separate dbs cannot be hidden like the can on a Mac -- their title bars are still visible -- and it's an all-or-nothing thing: either all the windows are maximised, or none of them are. I've worked around it by using Toggle Windows [Maximise] where I'd hide a window on the Mac. For cross-platform solutions use an If statement with Staus[CurrentPlatform] to hide or maximise as necessary.

The other challenge is font rendering. This isn't so bad, just remember PC displays fonts bigger so leave room when designing on the Mac.

Finally, I'd recommending having a real PC to test and tweak the system before shipping. If only to check the transitions between open databases and layouts. VirtualPC would probably be fine.

I am "dual user" since I've bought my first PC 2 years after my first Computer -- APPLE IIe!

On NT 4 FileMaker performance and stability cannot be beaten.

On W2K (when working) the stability and performance is higher than on Mac.

Mac is Mac, loved, hatted whatever, still very good, just the multitasking is not there.

Then various OSes 95-98-Me. Good and bad results. Not the PRO.

I do not get the part with Minimizing and Maximizing.

If you Minimize window, it is not hidden like on Mac, but it is very small I guess 120x20 pixels. Just the name.

You can protect that by programming security, like on Mac user can "unhide" the window.

Regarding the "minimized window" issue on FMP for PC:

I agree that this is a pretty annoying flaw in FMP for PC. I feel that these rough edges are shortcomings of the programming, rather than the operating system. I am also a dual user, having a good amount of experience with both platforms.

In my opinion, the "minimized window" issue is just one of many rough edges in FMP for PC, which Filemaker has let languish. For instance, the Dell/Yamaha/Creative PCI sound driver conflicts which Filemaker has been aware of for at least 6 months (manual workaround, but still no patch!), the lack of integrated Spelling Libraries hasn't been addressed since version 4.0, and the comctl32.dll, and shfolder.dll files - required for FMP runtime but not included with FMP or FMP Developer (another manual workaround, no patch for over 1 year).

All of my development is done on the PC, with the solutions bound for both Mac and PC. I'm very comfortable working with both platforms, and am pretty adept at solving all but a few problems. My impression of Windows 98 and Windows 2000 is that they are both extremely fast and reliable when properly configured. If you are on a budget, you can build your own PC for about $300 in a few hours and save the hassle os setting up Virtual PC. On the fastest Macs, the emulation remains rather slow, and since you are constrained to the emulated drivers, it is difficult to get a real feel for problems as they come up from time to time.

With a little time invested into learning more about the PC platform, and some knowledge of the shortcomings of FMP for PC, you shouldn't have any problem developing solutions for it using your Mac. I would strongly recommend that you get a real PC for testing, rather than use emulation. I think you will find that developing solutions for both platforms is straightforward. Incompatibilities between the Mac and PC are rare and easily solved.

Hope this helps! Feel free to e-mail if you have more questions... Good luck!

This topic is 8397 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.