FileMaker 5 on Win 7 xp mode

Baroo

This topic is 4312 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am running Filemaker 5.0.0.103 on my Dell Optiplex 745 with Windows XP and it runs fine. The reason I purchased this Windows XP based computer is because I could run my Filemaker version 5.0.0.103 on this machine with no problems.

My question is the same now as when I bought this Dell computer and I still can not get an answer to my question.

Here is my question:

Can I run my Filemaker 5.0.0.103 on a Windows 7 computer running in the XP mode?

I would really appreciate an answer to this question.

Thanks

Not sure if you are going to get many answers. I dont know many people running FM5 on a Windows 7 machine.

• Newbies

First of all Mr_Vodka, I'm not running FM5 on Windows 7, that just happened to be my question.

As for Agnes Riley, there are a lot of people out there running older versions of FM on Windows XP because the newer versions are questionable on windows Vista and 7. There is nothing that says we have to upgrade evertime a new version of FM comes out. And for your information, I have been using and programing with FM before it was a relaational database way back. I design my programs to run my business when FM was with Claris.

Edited by Lee Smith
Removed unneeded comment

First of all Mr_Vodka, I'm not running FM5 on Windows 7, that just happened to be my question.

When did I say that you were? My answer was simply that you may not get a lot of answers since most people do not have that similar set up. It wasn't presented with a sarcastic tone.

Can I run my Filemaker 5.0.0.103 on a Windows 7 computer running in the XP mode?

I would really appreciate an answer to this question.

Thanks

Yes you can. It might not work though.

Test it out yourself and post your findings, others will be interested in the results.

I mean, it might work for a while then crash. It might crash straight away, or run for days or weeks then crash.

The external authentication might not work, or IWP might not work, or the admin console might not work but the file hosting part works. Some people may not need IWP so it "works" for them. For other people IWP might be mission-critical so it does not work for them.

So it depends on what the OP means by "run" and what their expectation of "working" is. It might not crash but be painfully slow, but the slow speed might not be a problem because it's a temporary server that only needs to run while data is being migrated. Who knows? Only the OP.

The point is, the OP will need to test it under their circumstances and come to their own conclusion as to whether it "works". What works for me might not work for them.

Mr. Baroo,

A child evolves and we're perfectly okay with that, moreover we expect it. Computer software, however should not cost us money and we should never have to upgrade it. :-)

All I was trying to point out that the newer versions give you a lot of great features and it's worth upgrading, especially when you're 7 versions, aka. over 10 years behind.

At least upgrade to a version that FIleMaker Inc. supports.

This topic is 4312 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.