Is FM the right platform for me? Calling all expert opinions.

This topic is 4332 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi all,

I'm currently deciding if FM is the best solution for me going forward, and have come here to hear from the experts.

My role is develop clinical data management systems for a medical department in a large hospital. The aim is to capture clinical data in a way that will improve clinical care, but also so that this data can be used for research purposes.

I should first of all point out that I'm based in Australia, and we are not known for our brilliant clinical data systems, my understanding is that the US is miles ahead of us (a product of the different funding arrangements, our health system is funded primarily by public money).

My aim to is to develop a simple system that can be accessible from a web based version as well as an iPad version. I will need the back end to be able to tap into a SQL database and possibly some old Oracle databases. We'll be looking at multiple users, maybe 10 concurrent users, all on site but across two different and not at all connected networks.

My main reason for looking into filemaker is the hiring practises of medical research. While the hospital has some main databases that are maintained by central IT, research money comes and goes. I think there is money for someone to be in this role for about four years, but beyond that, the databases I create may well have to stand on their own two feet without support, so I want the simplest possible platform that someone with no database experience can maintain and alter as needs change (I realise that this is a huge ask and maybe impossible, but I would like to get as close as possible). I know the mess that people with no experience can make to databases, but I would prefer this to having the whole thing fall over.

So, the impression that I'm getting is the FM is probably the simplest database platform for novices. And from all that I've read it should do what I want in terms of FM Go and web publishing.

Am I right? Am I wrong? Thought, opinions, anything at all would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

K

PS I have no FM experience, I have a development background is MSAccess but with no real expertise. See, these medical research places hire people like me! Crazy right?

My aim to is to develop a simple system that can be accessible from a web based version as well as an iPad version. I will need the back end to be able to tap into a SQL database and possibly some old Oracle databases. We'll be looking at multiple users, maybe 10 concurrent users, all on site but across two different and not at all connected networks.

This is a very ambitious project. What kind of time and money are you expecting this to take to develop: $1,000; $10,000; $100,000; $1,000,000? A week, a month, a year?

This is a very ambitious project. What kind of time and money are you expecting this to take to develop: $1,000; $10,000; $100,000; $1,000,000? A week, a month, a year?

Probably about $0. There may be some money for a few new iPads and a server license, but thats about it. We have server side support people from hospital IT. Aside from that, basically I'm it.

Time, thats a bit harder. The aim is to work with individual groups within the department sequentially. I'd want the first module up and running within a few months, but it may take years to work across the whole department.

What do you mean by "server side support from IT"? The hospital is already running FileMaker Server? Seems unlikely from your description.

What do you mean by "server side support from IT"? The hospital is already running FileMaker Server? Seems unlikely from your description.

They will be running filemaker server in the near future, with the purpose of pushing "bespoke" applications such as this onto filemaker.

I feel that there is some confusion over the question I am asking. I was NOT asking for opinions on whether I am capable or qualified to do the job that I have been hired to do (and indecently, the job that I have been doing for the last five years). My question was on platform suitability.

I'm beginning to feel that FM may no be right for me, as it is missing one major feature that I have relied on and enjoyed being a part of in the past, a SUPPORTIVE online community. I was not expecting the protectionist response that I have received, both here and in personal communications, that can be summarised in "you can't do this, I can, so pay me!"

Thank you everyone for your responses but I have enough self doubt without the addition of your ill informed opinions of me and what I am capable of.

I anyone has any GENUINE opinions on the suitability of FM for what I plan, then I would be glad to hear it. If however you would like to tell me that I'm ill-equipped, naive and incompetent, than may I respectfully request that you **** off.

Edited by Lee Smith
censored swear word

Wow. You are mis-judging us. It is a weekend and it is usually very quiet. I had planned (and was formulating) a response but I was finishing a project first. Please change the language in your post (you know the word I mean). And there are MANY really giving, non-judgmental and wonderful folks here. I hope you will give it a chance.

Whether FM is right for you, we cannot say but you will not find a more supportive community than FileMaker folks.

As for a response, please allow me to give you a Reader's Digest version since patience is not one of your virtues (it isn't mine either, LOL and I can come across as pushy) ...

I've been working with databases for over 10 years now and FM was the easiest to learn of any of them. It is capable of connecting with external sources and you can provide company information to mobile devices and web. It is the MOST FLEXIBLE of any of them ... allowing you to start small and expand and change according to business needs over the years. It can quickly show its worth to management who will then jump on board and finance further development.

Anyway, I have to go back to my deadline project but I hope you will stick around and at least give yourself the chance to see what FileMaker can offer. It is the top selling database for Apple and the second top selling for Windows ... it must be good at something. :laugh2:

I'm not at all upset about the number of responses or how active the forum is. I appreciate that people are busy and I value any time people put aside to answer my questions. However if I receive one more message (there have been several personal communications saying the same thing) that I am in over my head and don't know what I'm doing then I'm going to scream. What do these people expect me to do? Turn up to work on Monday and hand in my resignation coz some faceless guy on a forum told me that I can't do my job?

... snip ... personal communications, that can be summarised in "you can't do this, I can, so pay me!"

Kate.

Since I have not noticed anyone saying this in the open forum, I'm assuming that this was in a Private Message. If this is the case, then it was inappropriate for them to say this, and to solicit work like this, if this is what they said. Please add me to these messages so that I can review and take appropriate action. BTW, you can share Personal Messages by adding a member to an existing thread.

I have removed your swear word as it is also inappropriate.

Lee

I'm not at all upset about the number of responses or how active the forum is. I appreciate that people are busy and I value any time people put aside to answer my questions. However if I receive one more message (there have been several personal communications saying the same thing) that I am in over my head and don't know what I'm doing then I'm going to scream. What do these people expect me to do? Turn up to work on Monday and hand in my resignation coz some faceless guy on a forum told me that I can't do my job?

Get some funding to bring in a contractor to do the "heavy lifting" like business analysis and specification writing. You should be looking for somebody that has worked on a similar system, or in a similar domain.

Kate,

I do believe FM is the right platform to use for your project. However, the critical thing to get right is the data model. Your experience with MSAccess should help you there.

I look forward to helping you on the forum, and I hope your questions start with how to model the data! However, as Vaughan suggests, hiring a contractor to provide the database foundation and define the scope would be money well spent. Breaking apart a huge project such as this sounds, into deliverables may be the best way to manage expectations and clearly prove your success.

hth,

Barbara

This topic is 4332 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.