Server Maintenance This Week. ×

No access to files

dcecil

This topic is 8034 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

We recently loaded FileMaker Server (Pro 5) on a dedicated machine. The files are located on this machine also and I was listed as being the "Administrator". When I open up the Server, I get the 3 windows (Admin, Data, & Usage), but whenever I select Open File in the Admin window, the "Open Database" window is empty. How do I get my 4 FileMaker files to show up here? The System Admin guy that set up the server, followed the instructions that were included in the product.

Also, even though I am the administrator, when I open up the files themselves (not through the server), I have access to all of the functions, but I cannot set the Layout order and I now cannot set up any of the levels of access or passwords.

Any help would be appreciated.

Make sure you've got the latest FM Server. If you're on 5.0 there's an upgrade to 5.0.2.

Also the Server Administration extension should be 5.0.3.

Personally I use Timbuktu for FMS control

Have you located the FMP files correctly ?

Are they set up for Multi-user ?

If they are single-user, is FMS set up to allow hosting of single-user files ?

Are your network protocols matched ?

Provided

As to your last topic. If you can't change layout orders and passwords, it's possible you don't have the highest level password access. If you were not given the master password as "administrator", you won't be able to do some things (notable passwords).

-bd

1. If you click "Open Files" in the Admin window, it means there are no available files to open. It will only show files in the FileMaker folders/subfolders that are NOT already open on the server.

Check to see if the files are listed (already open) under the "Files" tab.

2. You cannot change any of the access/password options while the file is hosted by FMS - You must first close the file on the server and then open the file with a regular copy of FileMaker to make those changes.

3. The same is true for the Layout order.

In 5.0 and 5.5, you can define fields in a FMS hosted file IF no one else is accessing that file. You must be the only one with that file open.

• 1 month later...

It sounds to me that you don't actually have a problem at all!!!!

It sounds like you maybe opening up the files through the server hence no access Privileges or set layout order options, these disappear once the file is open on the host. You must close the file on the server first before these options are available again. Save Copy As should also be unavailable???

Also, as you cannot see the files when you select Open File, this gives another clue that they are already open. Instead of selecting Open File, click on the arrow next to FileMaker within DATABASE_Admin, are your 4 files there???

This topic is 8034 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.