Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Using Java JAX-WS Web Services in ScriptMaster?

This topic is 4257 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm trying to send a data value from a FMP form (on iPad, ideally) to a JAX-WS Web Service.

Looking at the functions available, I initially thought that PostXMLData was a good choice, but now it looks like it might not work.

Specifically, I am having issues trying to figure out how to translate my...

"http://<path to webservice url>?wsdl"

to something PostXMLData would be happy with. Also, I'm not sure about entering the XML parameter since my actual Java W/S program doesn't have anything like that that I see. Would the XML Parameter in PostXMLData just include my web service service method?

---

Perhaps the PostDataToURL function would be better?

---

Basically, I'm trying to send a text value to a SQL Server database via a web service and, from the web service, get a response back I'll put onto another FileMaker Go field.

Actually, I'm not sure that web services are even supported on FileMaker Go 12. Does FMP Go support these functions?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

- m

What you are trying to do sounds a little more complicated than ScriptMaster's simple 'Post XML Data' module. I should also mention that plugins do not run on iPad (or any iOS device) which would make it a moot point.

One thing you may find useful to use and test SOAP web services is our SOAP client. This is a good way to test the service with a graphical interface.

What you are trying to do sounds a little more complicated than ScriptMaster's simple 'Post XML Data' module. I should also mention that plugins do not run on iPad (or any iOS device) which would make it a moot point.

One thing you may find useful to use and test SOAP web services is our SOAP client. This is a good way to test the service with a graphical interface.

I think what we'll eventually do is to execute a script on FMS from the iPad. The FMS will then run a web service it has loaded. Not sure how well this would work in a "synched" setup, but for now we're assuming iPad and FMS would be in Shared mode.

OK, so I am wondering how (yikes, "if") I can access a function in a SOAP web service from FMP 12 even in FMP itself. There's another plug-in, but it's "free" and not documented very well.

http://www.beezwax.net/products/wsp

Also, it has usage restrictions.

So, is consuming a SOAP web service from FMP just not really that possible?

I don't mind a "paid" solution.

I'm used to Java just "working". In FMP, with all the little script windows and buttons you click to do this an that, it's more confusing than just Eclipse or a typical Java IDE.

None of the products I've looked at, including ScriptMaster, seem to include any instructions (simple usage instructions or a tutorial) on even a single plug-in. I'm a long-time Java developer, but in FMP, I'm basically stumped how to use any of these....

Look forward to any suggestions.

Thanks again.

-m

Will this be IWP? Are you using a scheduled script here? I'm just a little confused about how you plan to execute/trigger a FileMaker server script from an iPad. This is important as to how to implement the solution.

Consuming a SOAP web service from FMP is possible and should be able to be accomplished using ScriptMaster. If you are interested in discussing a quote for custom development please contact us directly and we can get more details about your project.

Will this be IWP? Are you using a scheduled script here? I'm just a little confused about how you plan to execute/trigger a FileMaker server script from an iPad. This is important as to how to implement the solution.

Consuming a SOAP web service from FMP is possible and should be able to be accomplished using ScriptMaster. If you are interested in discussing a quote for custom development please contact us directly and we can get more details about your project.

No IWP.

iPad <-> FMS <->SQL Server (via web service), basically.

I don't really need a quote. Rather, just some documented examples of how to use a plug-in end-to-end would be necessary. I just need to verify that I can hit a SOAP based web service and download it's text payload for one of the exposed web methods. From what I see, your product doesn't come close to documenting how to do that.

I'm currently trying to do this proof of concept using FM Pro Adv. 12, but have hit a documentation roadblock.

Since you said "should be able to be accomplished using ScriptMaster." Could you please find out for sure?

Thanks,

-m

Ok. Regarding the "iPad <-> FMS <-> SQL Server", I am still not sure how you want to trigger a script in FileMaker Server from iPad. Scripts that run on the server are either scheduled scripts or executed in the Web Publishing Engine (accessible to IWP and CWP). There are a couple workarounds but I wanted to make sure you realize this is not something you can do directly.

You can find more about using our plugins here.

The modules included in ScriptMaster are really more of a "proof of concept" and serve as examples for various limited use functions. The sample file is also designed to allow someone with Java/Groovy development experience to customize a module or create a new one based on their specific needs.

It sounds like you want documentation about how to hit a SOAP based web service and download it's text payload for one of the exposed web methods. This is straightforward in ScriptMaster's 'Post XML Data' module. Pass in the URL of the web service, the SOAP XML body (WSDL compliant), and the soapaction (indicated in the WSDL) and execute the function. Again, the modules in ScriptMaster are simple and this one expects the XML to already be generated. If you need more functionality it would require customization of the module based on your use case.

Provided you have the SOAP XML generated you can use the 'Post XML Data' to handle the SOAP web service request. If you can provide the URL to the web service I can test it using our free SOAP client to try and help with this process.

Ok. Regarding the "iPad <-> FMS <-> SQL Server", I am still not sure how you want to trigger a script in FileMaker Server from iPad. Scripts that run on the server are either scheduled scripts or executed in the Web Publishing Engine (accessible to IWP and CWP). There are a couple workarounds but I wanted to make sure you realize this is not something you can do directly.

You can find more about using our plugins here.

The modules included in ScriptMaster are really more of a "proof of concept" and serve as examples for various limited use functions. The sample file is also designed to allow someone with Java/Groovy development experience to customize a module or create a new one based on their specific needs.

It sounds like you want documentation about how to hit a SOAP based web service and download it's text payload for one of the exposed web methods. This is straightforward in ScriptMaster's 'Post XML Data' module. Pass in the URL of the web service, the SOAP XML body (WSDL compliant), and the soapaction (indicated in the WSDL) and execute the function. Again, the modules in ScriptMaster are simple and this one expects the XML to already be generated. If you need more functionality it would require customization of the module based on your use case.

Provided you have the SOAP XML generated you can use the 'Post XML Data' to handle the SOAP web service request. If you can provide the URL to the web service I can test it using our free SOAP client to try and help with this process.

You can use the Open URL command on the iPad and run a script on FMS, like this:

Open URL [No dialog; "fmp://username:[email protected]/MyDB.fmp12?script=someScriptName"

This would work, right?

------------------

OK, I got the plug-in working! I used "Charles" Web Proxy to get the SOAP envelope used by the Java SOAP Client. :)

---------------

Although I couldn't find any usage instructions for using the SOAP client, double clicking the "360Works_SOAPClient.jar" file gives me the error: "java.lang.RuntimeException: Could not found the java complier at /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/bin/javac.exe. You only have the JRE installed....."

Actually, this is not true. I have both the JDK 1.6 and JDK 1.7 installed and working. A minor error with the dialog states that I need to get the JDK from Sun (It's from Oracle now). Not sure what this problem is referring to regarding the plugin. Perhaps you can pass this problem back to the developers?

There is no longer a check box in Mountain Lion (10.8, Mac OS/X) to enable Applets under Java Preferences.

Thanks,

Did you just double click the main 360 jar file?

If you did that and got no error, which JDKs do you have installed in Java Preferences?

I have JDK 1.6 and JDK 1.7 so maybe there's a conflict having two JDKs installed. I didn't spend time troubleshoot this problem beyond this.

*********** NOTE **************

The program itself loads fine -- I didn't get the error until I put in a WSDL address and tried to use the program.

-m

This topic is 4257 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.