Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Opener specs

This topic is 4223 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

If I put a FM file on everyone's desktop to open a served file, can I use a global text field to hold the ip string with the full string and file name? It should open the served file and then close. The only examples I have found are very old and they don't explain. I need to give someone the opener and all I know is the file name. I need someone on that end who knows nothing to finish 'pointing' it manually and saving the file to distribute to their other users or have the ability to explain and I do not know how.

The person who knows how isn't there any more and I don't know. They have Mac 10.6 users and Windows 7. Do they need to find out the server address for the file and how can we accomplish this please? Version 11. Also if they go to FM server 12 will it work the same after I convert it to 12? Or does 12 now have easier ways of handling it. Opener hasn't even been discussed for years that I can tell. Is it bad idea? Right now they use open remote but they do not like it.

Please forgive my ignorance I really prefer finding my own answers instead of taking others' time. I post after serious attempt only.

No, you can't use a variable in an External Data Source - they are hard coded (any version of FM).

You might be able to use a URL to open the database - I forget if that works with FM11 or not. I'm pretty sure it can be done with FM12, though.

The opener file is simply a FileMaker file with a script set to run on startup:

# The first part creates an escape hatch for the developer in case something is awry

# Holding down the Shift key on startup will abort the script and leave the opener file open for troubleshooting

If[Mod(Get(ActiveModifierKeys; 2)) = 1]

Halt Script

Else

# No shift key; open remote file

Set Variable[$host; Value: "fmp7://<serverURL>/<Filename>"]

open URL[no dialog; $host]

Close File[Current File]

End If

The path to the remote file in the Set Variable step above is the same path the users now follow manually when they select Open Remote.

Edit: This file is platform independent; your Windows users and your Mac users can be given the same file.

• 3 weeks later...

Why not just use the SnapShot Link feature and put the fmsl file on the users' machines?

Steven

Without server yet these things are difficult to learn ahead do time but i have studied Help - not always easy to understand. So if I create a script to run with 'Save Records As Snapshot Link' it will place a file locally on my system which will open the served file 'from whence the snapshot came' and not point back to my desktop? And I could then take that file and give it to either Mac or Windows to put on their computer and it will open the served file, run proper security tests and then take them to the layout 'from whence it started'?

If I run this from Main Menu which is one-record Preferences table then this single FMPSL file will do it all and eliminate the need of Opener file. Please, do I understand this part? Thank you Doug also. I am hoping snapshot works because it seems much easier but if not, your script is next in line. Sorry it has taken so long. Hours buried in FM and still I am but a child at this.

This topic is 4223 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.