Server Maintenance This Week. ×

RunTime and FMS

This topic is 4226 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

OK, we need a little clarity here.

The data files associated with a run-time solution can be placed on FIleMaker Server and accessed with any standard FIleMaker client.

The run-time engine cannot however access these hosted files. it's been that way since FIleMaker® Pro 4. In my view, that is not likely to change.

Steven

I think is a joke that there is no network for runtime.

Them are fighting words... :)

Yesterday i saw that in acsess it can be done.

I think that filemaker are doing a big error by not haveing network in runtime.

It's been a point of long discussion over the years. The struggle for a "thin client" is ongoing. We sort of have it with FileMaker Go on the iPhone and iPad but not anywhere else.

That being said, the Access analogy is not a good one. Access is nowhere near as scalable as FM is while staying within the same skill-set.

Can you expand a bit on why you are looking for a networkable runtime? Is it cost only?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Newbies

I've been working with 360Works RemoteScripter to create runtime clients that calculate and send data to and retrieve results from Filemaker Server 12 via Filemaker Pro application running on the server box.

The ability to send data into a Filemaker script on a server, have the server process it and send a calculated result back to the runtime is MEGA handy and, in many situations (your architecture may vary), provides all that is needed to mimic the traditional FileMaker application to Filemaker Server experience.

This topic is 4226 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.