Conditional Value Lists

This topic is 4245 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a table called 'Processes' - which holds the steps for completing each 'Process'

I have a table called 'ProcessSteps' which are attached to each process. Each process can have many steps attached to it.

ProcessSteps has a field called Step #, which I want to have as a value list (values can range from 1-10), but I only want to display values that are 1 higher than the maximum step already assigned (this is stored in a value called HighestStep).

I have this working with a new table called Steps, which has all the assigned combinations in fields Step-Value, eg: 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 2-2, 2-3, etc.

My relationship then goes from ProcessSteps to Steps with HighestStep to Step. The value list then shows only related values based on ProcessSteps.

Now, it works, but only when there is already a value in Step #. I wish for it to display without a value being entered into that field. Say I enter 1 into Step #, it displays 1, 2. But when the field is blank, nothing is displayed in the value list. How do I fix this? Is my relationship wrong?

CheerS!

How about this way?

Excellent!

Excellent!

Now I have another addition.

Say I want to display it between a range of values. Eg: say Child table has a field called minimum value (for examples sake) if this is set to 2, then the value list will display values >= 2 but only up to the maximum value as done previously. How can this be achieved?

It's a matter of getting only the relevant values to be related. If the minimum value is in the Child table, then the maximum value also needs to be there (it could be just a calc field = Parent::cMaxValue ). Then link the Values table directly to the Child table, using a range relationship and change the value list to start at Child.

It's a matter of getting only the relevant values to be related. If the minimum value is in the Child table, then the maximum value also needs to be there (it could be just a calc field = Parent::cMaxValue ). Then link the Values table directly to the Child table, using a range relationship and change the value list to start at Child.

Hi comment,

I am still trying to get this all to work.

Firstly, how in your example did you get it to display 1 when no values were entered into the Child table. I have my relationships set up the same, but the value for cMax does not go to 1, unless I enter 0 into the step #...

This topic is 4245 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.