Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Edit text fields via ODBC/MySQL - only first character is saved

This topic is 3956 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am new to MySQL/ODBC/ESS and I'm on Mac OS X v. 10.6.8 (x86, 64-bit)

I installed the MySQL ODBC Connector version 3.51.30 (10.6, x86, 64-bit) from mysql.com (also tried version 5.2.2 but couldn't get it to show up in "ODBC Administrator.app") on my FileMaker Server (version 12.0.1.178).

I got to the point where I could add the MySQL tables to the filemaker relationship graph. I can view, edit, and add records. I can edit "int", "decimal" and "datetime" fields without problems. However, if I create or edit content of a field of type "TEXT" (and I also tried changing them to VARCHAR), when I click out of the record it saves only the first character!

I can edit these fields in phpMyAdmin with no trouble.

What could be causing this?

When you look at the "field" in the shadow table (FileMakers 'view' of the MySQL fields) and view all the Options, what do you see. Check every tab and every button to view what might be happening.

Beverly

I ended up purchasing the commercial plug-in from Actual Technologies and it solved the problem.

I had been under the understanding previously that I had to buy the $400 "Server" version to use with FMS, but I realized that the different versions only gave you more connections. You can use the $35 version with FMS if you can live with 5 connections. $35 isn't so bad.

That said... is the free open source plug-in from mysql.com working for others on Mac OS X?

• 7 months later...
  • Newbies

I too have the same issue.  Only the first character is being accepted by the ODBC connection.  I am also not allowed any nulls.  Yet the data already there has blank fields.  When I create a new record this same field in the my new record has to be populated.

Consequently I'm interested to see if there is a solution.  It seems odd that the tool provided does not work.  Maybe a setting in the database I'm connecting to?

Andy Codling

The trial version of the Actual Technologies ODBC drivers are limited to reading 3 records, as far as I remember.

Probably limits the updating too.

This topic is 3956 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.