Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Server to run tasks

This topic is 4198 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Is there a way to structure script steps to tell the server to preform steps rather then the client. Specifically, I am exporting XML, but this script step runs from the client machine.

The code that comes out of filemaker is...

1. Not human readable due to bad formatting

2. Has bad chars that are not recognized by the automated system that will receive the files

3. Needs to be exported to a different server for automated operations.

I currently have the XML being exported to a 3rd mac server which opens the XML file in TextWrangler and cleans to human readable and removes bad chars and XML definitions that the next system does not like. Then passes the newly formatted XML file off to the next server where it is processed by out automation system.

My issue is either way the XML needs to be exported to some other server. Any system that exports XML needs to be connected to the server that will process the XML. XML is output after a CSR updates a record so each CSR will technically be exporting from their own machine. This means I have to make sure every CSR is connected to the server before they execute the export XML script.

My thought is it would be easiest if rather there was a command that could be tossed out to the server telling it to run the script on a particular record.

Else, I don't know if this is possible and this is a completely different approach...

Could I have a button in FMP that runs an application on the users machine. The application could be an applescript (all CSRs are on mac) that would bring up the connection dialog for said server, once connected the script could tell FMP to run the export XML script. This approach to me seems like there are many things that will be different between each CRSs system IE. OS version, FMP versions, you name it. I would rather not take this approach if possible.

Any suggestions, Sorry it is long, Hope I made the need clear.

Thanks in advance, may the Lord Jesus Christ bless you unto salvation through faith in his work on the cross! Jesus is Lord!

one way you could work this is with 360works remote scripting plugin. you can then dedicate only one machine to process/export the xml. That machine is then the only one connected to the xml processor machine. possibly even the same machine. I have had good results with the plugin and some applescript thrown into the mix...

You can get a trial from 360works, test it all out to satisfaction before purchase. Can't beat that.

Charles

This topic is 4198 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.