Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Pop Up Menu Border Removal in FM12?

Hijack

This topic is 3207 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Am I crazy or has FM12 removed the ability to completely remove/hide the border of a pop up field?  I have tried all options to remove border lines in all states, set them to 0 width, set the line color to transparent, no love.  No matter what the settings there is always a drop shadow below and to the left of the field.

Anyone know what I'm missing?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Odd that there is no answer to this problem :(

I've just update a schools' solution to FM12 (best they could do with their budget!) and all the previously hidden pop-up field drop shadows that were hidden in FM 11 have reappeared ! Like Hijack, I can't find a way to remove them, short of adding lines the same color as the background to mask them, which is far from ideal.

A huge step backwards in my opinion. Didn't check to see if it's been sorted in FM 13 or 14 but this is a real drag }:(

P.S. No need for an example file… just put a field on a layout and assign a pop-up menu to it - then try to get rid of the bottom and right "drop shadow" borders. If you find an easy way to do that - that's exactly what I'm after :console:

TIA

In Inspector, look at Advanced Graphics tab and see if 'outer shadow' is checked.  

Hi LaRetta

Thanks for your prompt answer. I'm using FileMaker 12 advanced French version here and, either I'm having a "Senior Moment" or the functionality is missing in this version.

The Inspector has 3 tabs, Position, Appearance and Data (there may be a translation difference here), as there was in FM11. I have pealed all three of these and can neither find "Advanced Graphics" or an "Outer Shadow" checkbox.

I see you're on V14 so could this be a bug fix that appeared in 13 or 14 ??

Thanks for your time and knowledge.

Edited by FredBloggs

'Pop-up', I apologize, I read 'popover'.

Files created in 12 allow removing that ugly drop shadow but older versions aren't so lucky.  I've seen many older files hanging onto embossed,  engraved and drop-shadows from Classic theme (which includes older converted files).  

One thing you can do is create a new layout and change the theme to one without the drop shadow, such as Warm.  Create a pop-up, copy it, paste it onto your Classic layout and re-specify your field and value list to it.  

Now ... you can save the style as the default for Classic but it will do no good because Classic will not allow updating its theme, custom themes didn't exist then and 12 lacks the ability to replicate your style changes through all its layouts anyway.

You will have to go through every layout and manually change every pop-up or change themes.  Life gets a lot easier in later versions.

BTW, Fred, if you could update your profile with your OS and FM version, it will really help for future questions.  Thank you! :-)

Thanks again for your time and interest in my problem LaRetta.

I have tried your suggestion and it's certainly an improvement, but I'm unable to make a pop-up field completely "anonymous". There seems to be always something left that shows :( I managed to get rid of the little arrow, playing around in the selected and over parameters, but the selected state always shows a frame, even when set to "no frame" when selected! I can work round that by setting it the same as the background, but it's all a bit messy. It was so simple in FM11!

Thanks again for your insight.

P.S. I updated my profile, for what it's worth. I am still working in FM7 on some projects, and many would consider me to be far from a beginner, but I feel that way permanently :)

So you don't want it to produce a border when it is in focus?  Set to no frame?  Did you try selecting the field and from Inspector > Appearance > Style, remove the line when pop-up is on 'in focus'? 

... many would consider me to be far from a beginner, but I feel that way permanently :)

And that is a good thing, Fred.  It is those that think they've GOT IT that never continue to grow.  And with each version changes, unexpected behaviors change, bugs change, and the best tool for the job can change so it is a never-ending process which also means you will never get bored!

I'm sure you've done this but also make sure you are using the latest updater for FM!2 - on Mac that is 12.0v5.

Sorry for the delay in answering, I've been away for a couple of days…

I have tried stripping all the lines and backgrounds, in every state, including focus, to no avail.

Removing border in the "Selected" state, does make the little arrow disappear which is a start.

I may seem a bid finicky about this, but actually the reason for wanting nothing to show is that in some layouts I have been using "hidden" pop-ups, concealed behind an icon, such that, when users think they are clicking on, say, a magnifying glass to make a search, actually a pop-up appears with proposed searches. This actually worked very well, and the users find this to be intuitive.

Anyway, with your help, I have got it down to just the border when focussed, which is no biggie I guess, as I can arrange for this border to become a "frame" for my icon, when it appears…

Thanks again for your insight and you time.

This topic is 3207 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.