Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Troubleshooting and Isolating a Bug

This topic is 4136 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

So I'm neck deep into my first database design using filemaker and would describe myself between novice and intermediate.  The needed functionality was prioritized over well thought design due to time concerns so there is a lot of going back after the fact and fixing being done.  I'm prefacing so I can perhaps be spared the lecture - I know this is a bad form but the company I work for needed a solution quickly.

So now my database is producing a bug I'm trying to understand and fix.  For some reason the text within the projectName field of my Projects table has been occasionally repeating itself within the field.   For example, if the project is titled 'Hyatt Hotel - New York', at some point is modified to be: 

"Hyatt Hotel - New York

Hyatt Hotel - New York

Hyatt Hotel - New York"

sometimes repeating over 20 or so times.   I don't know what's triggering this and was hoping there might be some suggestions for isolating the problem.  I figure something within one of my many scripts is causing the problem but not sure even where to begin.  I don't have a copy of advanced filemaker so I don't have a debugger but maybe there are ideas or methods to isolating the problem.  

I couldn't really find a proper forum category for this problem so sorry if this is miscategorized.  Thanks for any help in advance.

Jon 

First check the auto-entry options of the field to make sure there's no calculation doing that.

Then since you don't have debugger, you could print your scripts to a PDF, which you can then search for that field name, and see if there's a Set Field script step that's the culprit.

Checked both of those but nothing turned up.  Saving the scripts as PDF as searching them was a very useful tip but nothing shows me why this would be happening.  It seems to happen on the most frequently access projects but I still have problems isolating the problem.  If anyone else knows a possibility or ways of isolating the problem I'd appreciate it.  Thanks!

This topic is 4136 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.