Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Thematic FMP graphics sets?

This topic is 3816 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a little resource file of various little symbols, icons and dingbat-like graphics I've used in my old layouts over time, but they don't go very well with the new FMP12 thematic styles.

By any chance is there a resource I'm overlooking that supplies a host of theme-appropriate icons  designed to address a range of common actions?

For instance, I have a little graphic with a red 'X' inside a circle that I used to put on portal roles as a Delete button -- but it doesn't "go" with the theme I'm using in 12.  

Since Filemaker is making this bold move to sort of regularize the look/feel of our solutions, it would be nice if they went the whole 9 yards and gave us a little (actually, big would be better) graphical resource box appropriate to each theme, yeah?  

Anyone else dealing with this?

Well, I was more hoping for icons that are specifically designed to go well with the FMP 12 Themes.

it seems to me that since Filemaker is sort of imposing a limited set of themes with pre-determined color schemes and visual design elements (Text styles, background patterns, space padding, etc), you would think they might also provide a toolbox of icon graphics for each theme that are designed to go with these themes? 

They seem to be trying to afford users the ability to make 'professional' looking layouts without having to be skilled at design -- but then people are going to go out and find icons that don't necessarily size optimally, or match colors precisely, or at least harmoniously?

Seems a sort of 'missing piece.'  Personally, I preferred crafting my own design schemes -- but in 12 it feels like I'm swimming against the current trying to use Classic. . . .

albert

dan -- to follow up on that fatcow set (which, Thanks! very handy set!) -- for example, there's a nice [+] icon, with the symbol centered on a green circle.  But what if that color doesn't match my powder-blue layout theme?   Is there away of editing the color on these icons?

Sure, it might have been nice if FileMaker included icons to go with each theme, but don't let that hold you back from finding icons to go with your database. Another option is to search on a site like this: http://www.iconarchive.com/search?q=add

If you want to edit the icons yourself, use something like Photoshop or http://www.gimp.org/

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Reading this, brings me back to a post I would have made if I did not find by myself a solution (of course a hazard solution, like the way Alfred Nobel found dynamite (stabilized nitroglycerine). Since, I alway use this with my buttons and any other stuff..!!

I use insert image (under layout) and never had problem since.

Hope this help. By the way if someone knows a limitation to this technique let us know. Thanks

• 4 months later...

Some of us would prefer to use a font. But this just leads to the many problems of using a custom font.

For more advanced creation of dingbats I use POV-Ray, a 3D raytracer that's freeware. It works with TrueType fonts as well as vector graphics. This is not a fast easy method but offers total customization.

This topic is 3816 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.