Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Color change for schedule conflict

Yog

This topic is 4076 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi, I'm putting together a database in filemaker 11 to schedule volunteers for events and I was wondering if it is possible to have the text color change in a portal row if a volunteer gets scheduled for more than one event at the same time. 

So far I have 3 tables:

Volunteers

JoinStaffVolunteers

Events

Each Volunteer record has a portal that lists all the events that the volunteer has signed up for, and each event has a portal listing all the volunteers that are going to the event. I would like the text to change to red in the portal rows if the volunteer gets scheduled for two (or more) events that take place at the same time. Is this possible, and if so how would I go about implementing it?

Thanks!

• Newbies

I see how that works, but there are multiple events every day and a lot of them have overlapping times, so I need to somehow check if a volunteer is booked for events that conflict with each other and I'm still having trouble coming up a formula that will work.

• Newbies

I'm sorry, I'm still not quite getting it. I tried to upload a striped down version of what I am trying to do but got an error saying I could not upload that kind of file.

Here are the basic tables and fields. 

Volunteers

VolunteerID 

Name

JoinTable

VolunteerID

EventID

EventTable

EventID

EventName

Date

StartTime

As you can see there is no VolunteerID on the event table so I'm not sure how to get that self join to work. 

I know I am probably just being dense, but I would be very grateful if someone could walk me through a formula to check for timing conflicts for the volunteers that I can use with conditional formatting. 

Thanks. 

• 2 weeks later...

This topic is 4076 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.