drop down list find

This topic is 4006 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

As rivet said, see if the Quick Find feature in a list view suits your need. It's often fine to just use the built-in Quick Find feature without any scripted enhancements like search-as-you-type behavior; but if you do need that, the Auto Quick Find module is another approach to contrast with the Exelisys demo.

Not in a drop-down control, no. You can use a similar process to trigger the re-evaluation of a portal filter on a form view instead of a find on a list view. That may not be the best approach though. I presume you want to give the users the ability to search to make a selection, but not make it so they have to look at a portal of options to select from the whole time? For these scenarios, it's usually best to launch a scripted process by opening a list view in a new window, use one of the techniques described above to filter the list, and close the window after the user makes their selection. This is more involved than just a drop-down, but you can make it look kind-of like it's happening in a drop-down by carefully designing the select-from-list layout and positioning the new window so the search field covers the exact same coordinates as the trigger field on your original form layout.

Is there a possible to get this to work what i want is to filter what im typing so that in drop down list only shows what im typing for example if i type legal

it must show abc legal, clear legal etc 

The more flexible you are willing to be, the more solutions will be possible to you problem. When asking for help on the forums, please try not to fall into the XY Problem. The point rivet and I have been failing to explain is that by constraining yourself to a drop-down control, you're painting yourself into a corner that probably doesn't contain the best solution to your real problem. Can you tell us any details about what your users need to accomplish without referring to specific user interface elements?

What have you tried so far, and how did that fall short?

Something else you might try if the suggestions above don't work for your application is combining an OnObjectModify trigger with the Virtual Value List module. An OnObjectModify triggered script on your data entry field might use Virtual Value List to change the value list to a smaller filtered set and trigger the re-display of the drop-down list.

This topic is 4006 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.