Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Highlighting a clicked field

This topic is 3989 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Greets, all! I thought that since this is more of an eye candy topic than say, a script or calc, so I'm posting this question here. I'm sure this is easily accomplished just that I'm not seeing it; I perused the Get functions and didn't see anything there that would help. Then again, I'm known for missing stuff. *blush*

I'd like to have a text field's fill highlight itself when when a user clicks his or her mouse while inside the field but de-highlight itself once the user starts entering text. It's tricky since I can't use a container or a conditionally-formatted button behind the field since the text field has to use a pre-set color fill so it can't be set to transparent.

As aways, your help is appreciated. Thanks!

You have to do the opposite of what you would think. Change the field color on all your fields to the color that you want it to change to when clicked in ( the highlight color ). Then use a conditional format on those fields with the calculation of the formula just being 1. Change the fill color in your conditional format to the background color you want your field to be when it is NOT clicked in.

When the field is clicked in and in focus the conditional format will not apply and therefore show your "orig" background color.

• Like 1

Thanks! That almost works: I want the highlighted color to disappear after the first character is typed into the field so I imagine I need a character counting calc (that commits the record when a character is typed) as part of the bigger calculation so as the the user types, the color changes back to "normal"--Script Trigger City.

No it wont work because as long as you are typing in the field, the field is active and therefore the conditional format will not apply.

• Like 1

This topic is 3989 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.