Custom List vs. Value from Field

geraldh

This topic is 3986 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello.

I am finding that I much prefer in many situations using a Value List based on values from a field.

(the primary incentive is that it would help run some scripts; and provide the user with more control).

This would require me to create a new table dedicated to the populating of the value list.

Because one should try and limit the number of Tables/TOs in a file, does the addition of new tables for the Value Lists worth the benefit that this strategy provides?

Thank you for any guidance you can offer.

Why do you need to create a new table? Perhaps a table Occurence would suffice. Also, I believe the number of tables is less crucial than you think. Whatever is needed is a rule I follow. In some cases many "skinny" tables is preferable to fewer "wide" tables.

geraldh, I kind of wonder if you meant, "a table for value lists", or "a table for each value list"? Either method can be used, though obviously the first is more common.

The "new table for this value list" seems a bit extreme, but I have used it for some things; a few tables, with very few fields is not a huge deal. [ Sometimes an ID can be added and used instead of large pieces of text in a VL, which makes relationship based on it work, and keeps uses from braking such by small text changes.]

But a "one record" table for "value lists", with a new field for each VL, is a way to let users (more like "manager") to modify VL's, without having to get into the guts to do so.

One thing I'd like to say about value lists. Whoever decides what data goes in them needs to think clearly. I have seen many times where it is changed later. Then, years later, they decide they want the database to seriously use that data, but the data is too mixed up to be very useful. Data should be simple and reliable.

Rick Whitelaw and Fenton,

Thank you for your responses.

I am still an relatively novice developer; and the database I am working on is still a work-in-progress. So I've got some time to experiment with this.

I will definitely try dedicating a table for multiple value lists (and then I assume set up a TO that will filter for the appropriate records for that VL that I wish to use...?).

Thank you again

This topic is 3986 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.