This topic is 3903 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'd like to know if there is a way to generate a window identifier.  

My goal is to be able to open two identical windows and then have conditional formatting or calculated fields appear differently to the two windows according to selections made by the user. If I use conditional formatting based on global fields then they will be set across both Windows. 

Addendum:

OK. I did find this post, which talks about using a custom window title, which I've considered.  That's a little messy.

Edited by Matthew F

• 2 weeks later...

Have you checked out the New Window Script Step?

Sure. I use it frequently. What I'm trying to achieve though, is two identical windows open to the same layout, but displaying different formatting.  

For example, if I access a file (hosted on FM server) concurrently from two different devices, then I can set a global to different, device-specific values.  I can then use this global to control the conditional formatting on one device (e.g. to highlight records of type 'widget'), without effecting the global or the conditional formatting on the other device.   I would like to be able to do the same thing, but on two different Windows on the same device. 

• 2 weeks later...

It occurred to me that one could hide a window identifier or window-specific variable within the window title by appending it to the Window Title, separated by a "¶".  The Title of a Window will only display the first value in a return-separated list. 

Attached is an example that hides a window-specific variable within the title. It is used to provide window-specific conditional formatting.  Use the drop-down list to colorize certain records.  Then create a new window and you can highlight different records. 

:)

Window Format.fmp12.zip

It occurred to me that one could hide a window identifier or window-specific variable within the window title by appending it to the Window Title, separated by a "¶".  The Title of a Window will only display the first value in a return-separated list.

Have you tried using that on Windows? My understanding is that it doesn't work so well, there.

• Like 1

I tried it on Windows 7, FM Pro 12, and it doesn't work.  A "¶" character in the window title causes the title to rise up above the top of the window!  Also the subsequent lines of "hidden" text all appear together on one line. Not exactly cross-platform compatible.

In the example I gave, the Window title included additional information (a variable) that was set by user action. Having the variable show up in the window title (on a PC) is not very polished.

In other situations, where you just want to distinguish windows statically, then it may be fine to let Filemaker use its ordinary sequential numbering approach.  Incidentally, its not so easy to mimic the default behavior that Filemaker uses for naming windows:

1. If a file is newly opened, then the Filename is used.

2. If the file is hosted from a remoter server then the server name is appended in parentheses: Filename (server name)

3. If a new window is opened then the original name is used plus a numerical suffix, i.e.

Window, Window-2, Window-3, etc.

4. If Window-2 is closed, then a new window will be called Window-2 (not Window-4). 

This topic is 3903 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.