Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Correct File Path syntax for OS Lion?

This topic is 3947 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am using Mac OS Snow Leopard and my partner is using OS Mountain Lion 10.8.4. I've attached a document (or other file) indexing FM solution where the user:

1) selects a file

2) an applescript then opens the file

3) the user can then rename the file, creating a new record in an FM database

4) an applescript then renames the file

5) the file path is extracted and placed into an FM text field either (depending on the file path syntax) via 

a. an applescript that copies it to the clipboard and pastes it into the field, or

b. a Get (DesktopPath) script

6) scripts then parse the text field and edit the file path to the correct syntax for FM

7) a calculation field that displays as a container is defined as = the text field

Viola! The file can now be opened from within its database record by clicking on the calculation field that displays as a container.

This works flawlessly on my Mac running Snow Leopard. It does not work on my partner's Mac running Lion. The exact same path(s) to file(s) in the same relative position on the computer does not allow FM to find that file so it can be opened from the calculation-container field. Some googling suggests to me that file paths on Lion are different than in Snow Leopard. Is this a syntax problem in the file path? I've tried hand editing the file path in various ways but not found anything that works. Any ideas on what is wrong and how it can be corrected? 

Index.fmp12.zip

Ideal:

Check the first message I posted. I edited it so the file (zipped) would be attached to it. It should be there. It shows up as being present when I go to this page in the Forum and downloads as a zip file that opens fine.

I stripped down my working solution to just the relevant parts having to do with ending up with a functional file path in a calculation field that displays as a container so the file can be opened from within the database. I then checked it under various scenarios on both my Mac running Snow Leopard and my partner's running Lion. It works perfectly on the Snow Leopard computer, but not on the computer running Lion. The different scenarios were:

1) file on desktop

2) file in folder on desktop

3) file in folder in Volume

4) file in Users (i.e., the house icon Mac's show in the finder)

Same result for all. Fully functional under SN, but completely dysfunctional under Lion. 

Is the problem something about Lion or is there something peculiar about my partner's computer? Thanks in advance for any insights or help you can provide.

I don't know what the problem is, but I suspect the files are in different places on the two computers. There is no difference in the file path syntax between Snow Leopard and Mountain Lion.

Well, that's what's weird. Since I'm doing this with FM solutions separately installed on each computer, the process resulting in the paths to files on that particular computer should either work or not work on both computers. But the FM solution works perfectly on the computer running Snow Leopard and doesn't work on the computer running Mountain Lion. The problem seems to be that file paths on the computer running Mountain Lion don't work!

Here's how I've been testing the FM solution and coming up with this prolem.

I'll place test files on the two computers in the same relative places:

1) file on desktop

2) file in folder on desktop

3) file in folder in Volume

4) file in Users (i.e., the house icon Mac's show in the finder)

Then with the example FM solution (the zipped file now attached to my first message) installed on both computers I'll try to link them to the separately installed databases  using the applescript/FM scripts and calculations in the solution. The resulting file path syntax is the same on both computers, but only works (successfully calls up the linked file) on the computer running Snow Leopard.  

Have you tried installing the zipped FM solution and seeing if it works on your computer, which I see is running OS Lion.

This topic is 3947 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.