Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Record Deletion ... Strange happenings

This topic is 3928 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Any help appreciated!!  I have a strange situation where records appear to be deleted. There's evidence that the record has been created as the serial number has been used. No users who have access to deletion have been in on the day the record disappears (on several occasions).

I have checked:

Scripts that might have full access privileges, scripts that delete, relationships that could delete related records. All good there. Has anyone had similar experiences with FileMaker Pro 12.0v4/FM Server 12.0v2 Mac OSX Snow Leopard/Mountain Lion?

Hello doubleclicker, welcome to FM Forums!

These kinds of issues can be difficult to pin down.  There have been no reports of erroneous deletions - it would be big news if it happened.  Snow Leopard is short-lived in 12 having been deprecated.  But why have you not ran the latest FMS updater?  That would be your first step.  You may not be able to install FMS 12.0v4 since you mention Snow Leopard and there's a Java issue ... you may wish to pose the question in the Mac Server forum here but you should at least be able to updater to 12.0v3.

Another area which can create then instantly delete an Auto-Enter serial number, is if it is set to Unique, Validate always and you import.  A duplicate record is created and only THEN does validation refuse its entry into the table and it is removed again, incrementing the number but removing the record. 

Otherwise it is detective work ... reviewing Server log, identifying Users and actions on the day in question.  It is also quite possible that script is simply breaking and deleting records from incorrect table.  If script step is GTRR and it isn't error trapped and there are no related records, script will delete the record where it sits.  If you use Go To Portal Row[] and then delete, it could be going to the wrong portal completely (see http://fmforums.com/forum/topic/89095-go-to-object-unexpected/ for example of dangerous scripting practices).

Since you can isolate a day when you know the record is deleted, perform a search in all your other tables for all records which were modified on this same day and which Users were on (seems you've already done this part).  You can then begin to walk through the day as a 3-dimensional image of activity.  You will know who went to which layouts (pretty-much).

I am sorry I cannot give you specific answer here. Let us know how it goes and if you can isolate a bit more, we will be happy to take a look for you at a specific day to see if we can help pinpoint the break.  It can be a slow, painful process ... I know.

Hi doubleclicker, and welcome to the FM Forums.

I moved your topic from "FileMaker Pro 12" to "Macintosh and FM Server", because the General Topics are reserved for questions about the new Tools, Functions and Features that were released in that version, and not for the How to questions.

If you have any questions about this, please contact me by Private Message.

Lee

This topic is 3928 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.