display records on splash page

This topic is 8289 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

One question I have been working around since I started Filemaker Web publishing and which really starts to bother me:

Did anybody come up with a way of displaying the content of Filemaker records on a splash-page? So let's say I enter http://www.myDomain.com and the default-page comes up. I want to have FMP-records on that site.

Now with CDML I can't do that, because I have to call the records in the URL string. The only thing I could think of is to immediately redirect the user from the default-page to the FMP-URL string.

I would know how to do it with ASP and Access, but I don't know how to solve the problem with Filemaker and WebStar-Server.

I am willing to learn! Any ideas?

Use Inline action in conjunction with meta refresh

NOTE

This is one area that Lasso is good........if you use a file suffix for the web page that you have told lasso to process in the suffix management setup it will process any inlines that appear on the page without a referring page or action call.

I don't think WC on it's own is capable of doing this as it requires an action call in a referring page hence the meta refresh

[ June 06, 2001: Message edited by: scratchmalogicalwax ]

Seems the refresh is the only possibility for me. I think I would need extra software to run Lasso, right?

I know how to use the meta-refresh, but are there any better server-side solutions that will get around showing one page to the user first and then waiting for the reload to happen?

Jeff, you are using a bit of javascript in your frame-work there. Any reason why you decided against meta-refresh and for javascript?

Thanks for your help, guys!

I believe it can be done using Ms IIS and active server pages to call the FMP information and build the page in one step, but I've never done it myself.

"There's been a disturbance in the Force, Luke."

Andreas wrote:

"Jeff, you are using a bit of javascript in your frame-work there. Any reason why you decided against meta-refresh and for javascript?"

well, that menu is a whole chunk of javascript and the default page is really a load of server-side includes which delivers different navigation and home page based on ip address (for inside or outside our network), so it was getting complicated enough anyway smile.gif" border="0

regards, Jeff

A method I use for something similar is to have the default.html looking like this:

<html><head><title>Loading</title></head>

<body inload="javascript:document.splashfm.submit();">loading...

<form name="splashfm" action="FMPro" method="post">

<input type="hidden" name="-db" value="names">

<input type="hidden" name="-SortField" value="sname">

<input type="hidden" name="-format" value="splash_list.html">

<input type="hidden" name="-findall">

</form>

</body></html>

I had to change the word "onload" to "inload" to display in this message. So change "inload" to "onload" in the real page. Hope this helps.

Garry

• 1 month later...

quote:

Originally posted by JLL:

How about SSI pages!

Is it possible to show database results on a web page using SSI on Apache?

(I have Web Server Connector installed)

JLL

You are cross-posting this JLL.

No problem with frames.

I am not so sure about Apache talking to the FM via SSI.

FM WebCompanion itself is capable of SSI.

This topic is 8289 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.