Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FMS13 Concurrent Connection Pricing Model and Maintenance Agreement

Codeus

This topic is 3714 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

First off I really like FM13, the features are great and WebDirect does a great job when compared to IWP.

However the new pricing model is not easy to swallow for solutions already using IWP and FMGo to any significant extent and I kind of feel screwed over on my maintenance contract.

Our FMSA12 licenses got converted to FMS13 with 25 concurrent Go / WebDirect connections. This is unhelpful when we have one solution currently running around 55 concurrent FMGo and IWP connections at peak.

'Plan ahead for software upgrades by locking in today's price for tomorrows technology' is how FileMaker describe the benefits of their maintenance agreements in the blurb.

Apparently not  :hmm:

thanks for the heads up on the 25 concurrent on the fmsa upgrade.  should be fine for my situation, and I will definitely take advantage of the new features allowing me to jettison all the IWP workarounds.  I still haven't gotten my email with the download links for the new version, so I've just been playing with the demo.

If you had a Annual Site License for FM12, then the concurrent connections for FM13 webdirect does get converted to unlimited. However, the pricing on a Site License Price isn't on the FBA store, so I'm not sure what the annual cost are going to be on the renewal. Guess we will find out in 6 months when it's up for renewal.

For users who had a lot of connections to Go, it seems an unfair change.

For desktop users it is a nice deal, much cheaper than buying desktop licences for every user, and easier to maintain (even for us, with only 10 users it is no fun to spend quite a few hour updating every single machine).

I still use 11 (= paid Go), I guess FM saw a lot of lost revenew with the free Go on 12.

Carlos

• 3 months later...

Rant:

I'm struggling with this new pricing model.  My customers connect through IWP (FMSA12) and usually I'm running about 20 concurrent connections.  On a few days of the year I get over 50 concurrent connections.  I haven't upgraded to Server 13 because of this and I just received my Maintenance Contract with the 25 connections on Server 13 (I also pay for 10 Pro and one Advanced).  I really feel like Filemaker has gone from "Possibilities" to limits.  At this point I am going to stay with 12 and drop my contract.

Rant:

I'm struggling with this new pricing model.  My customers connect through IWP (FMSA12) and usually I'm running about 20 concurrent connections.  On a few days of the year I get over 50 concurrent connections.  I haven't upgraded to Server 13 because of this and I just received my Maintenance Contract with the 25 connections on Server 13 (I also pay for 10 Pro and one Advanced).  I really feel like Filemaker has gone from "Possibilities" to limits.  At this point I am going to stay with 12 and drop my contract.

Have you tried negotiating with your FM Sales Rep?  Escalate it and see if they listen.  Don't assume that they won't.

Have you tried negotiating with your FM Sales Rep?  Escalate it and see if they listen.  Don't assume that they won't

Thanks Wim - have just done exactly as you have suggested.  Let's see what happens.

This topic is 3714 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.