Concerns about moving to FM13 from FM12

Hoib

This topic is 3761 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello -  For our Food Pantry and Community Assistance Center, we are now using/developing in FM12 Pro Advanced.  For the workstations at the desks, we run FM Pro 12.  In the cloud,we run one copy of FM Pro Advanced 12 with the solution.  We cannot afford Server, that money doesn't exist.  Then we Open Remote from the workstations to the cloud.  Not optimal I know but it gets us there.

Now that FM13 is out, we are entitled to an upgrade install based on our recent date of purchse.  Good News!  Our cloud provider would also be able to provide FM Pro Adv 13. 

But now I'm wondering what adverse impacts there would be by moving everything to FM13.  Are scripts going to break?  Are layouts going to fail?  I'm thinking about the time not too long ago where we had to migrate from FM11 to FM12 (it wasn't too painful, I admit).  I believe the correct strategy is to keep everything on the same FM version.  But before I pull that trigger, I'd like a periscope view of what potholes I might run into.  Looking for a little reassurance.

Thanks.

H

Before moving any production environment forward, I would open your files in 13 and test thoroughly.  Although I am designing new solution in 13, I will wait until the first updater is out before deploying.  13 does have some smaller annoying bugs (but still much less than 12 had) and so far from what I've read not any serious ones.  I have not yet tested on Windows environment however.

In all, I would be less worried about moving to 13 than I was 12.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you both!  I had visited this thread before and thought I'd replied.  Apparently my reply didn't make it in.  Anyway...

I will do some thorough testing as suggested.  I've tinkered with it.  All I can say is, "Wow!"

H

WOW is right.  FMI has put the peddle to the metal on this version and it has really paid off.  It is smooth and elegant - not perfect but wonderful to work in.  And there are even subtle improvements throughout that haven't been mentioned.  It is obvious that they took serious looks throughout except maybe Import/Export dialogs where we still live in funky-land.  Deciding to change a custom Theme's Style from 12 pt font to 13 and having it replicate throughout my solution for that same Style is incredible!

FMI what does this means what sorry?

I was wondering if ver13 made any improvement to accessibility commands..

Thinking of writing a blind-mans version to a part of my operator call center app

or has anyone done anything like..

FMI = FileMaker Inc.  

I haven't played with those features yet.  You might wish to post a specific question about it so those that have can respond.  It's on my Things To Do but so are many things currently more exciting.  Great idea ... keep us posted!

This topic is 3761 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.