Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Pop-up menu only showing the first (ID) field

truelifeajf

This topic is 3520 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi all,

Any FM12 file I open up (tried 2 so far) in FM13 results in Pop-up menus only showing the ID, and not the second field. See attached screen grabs.

I've checked all the settings... "show values only from second field" is definitely checked.

Anyone else noticed this?

post-108462-0-69492000-1388807655_thumb.

post-108462-0-22801900-1388807657_thumb.

It's a field formatted as a pop-up menu.

I've attached a screen shot of that.

It's a popup, using related values from a field in another table.

However I have since solved the problem.

In FM12, if the ID field in the related table (where you are getting the list of values from for your popup) is a NUMBER field but you're using Get(UUID), which is TEXT, FM12 doesn't care.

But in FM13 it does care. If there's text in a number field, your pop-up menu will only show the ID, and not the value from the "show values only from second field" setting.

post-108462-0-33501800-1388894381_thumb.

Hmmm . . . Glad you've solved the problem, but I'm not convinced your reasoning is correct. What I was looking for was a screen shot of the value list setup dialogue. I don't believe there is a difference in how 12 and 13 evaluate this situation. I stand to be corrected however.

Yup, definitely 100%. It's across now 3 of solutions that I open in FM13.

All I did was change the ID field from a number to a text field and it's fixed.

If I change it back to a number field, the problem comes up again.

I duplicated the file, opened it up in FM12 and side-by-side opened it up in FM13.

In FM12, even if the ID field was a number, the pop-up showed the 2nd field of the value list, no problem while the FM13 file only shows the first (ID) field.

I went to create a test file in FM13 to show you, but the problem didn't present itself when the ID field was a text field.

My assumption at this point is it's when it's a file created in FM12, using a number field that stored a text ID, and then opened in FM13.

I just created an example file in FM12.

See attached.

Open the file in FM12... and then FM13.

For me, I see a big difference.

Then, change the field "temp_field" to a TEXT field, not a number field. It'll fix the problem when using FM13.

Sorry, it didn't upload an fm12 file... needs to be zip

Username: Admin

Password: password

try_this_in_12_and_13.fmp12.zip

On an iPad at the moment so unable to examine the file in 12 or 13. However I use a number of pop up fields that use a number as PK that show only the second value. I can only assume this I'd happening because the uuid does contain text.

Actually this is a known bug.  If you change Inspector > Data > Data Formatting and change from General to As Entered it should fix it for you.  I am actually surprised that it isn't fixed in 13.  It was reported very early in 12's life.

• Like 1

Actually this is a known bug.  If you change Inspector > Data > Data Formatting and change from General to As Entered it should fix it for you.  I am actually surprised that it isn't fixed in 13.  It was reported very early in 12's life.

I was having a similar problem myself, but unlike truelifeajf I had some layouts where the popup was working fine, and others that were showing the key.  After reading this, I looked at it and found exactly this, that the popups that were working correctly already had the Data Formatting set to As Entered, and the popups that were not working were set to General.  

I have a similar situation to truelifeajf in that the keys are numbers and the values being shown are text.  Interestingly, I did not have this issue in 12, as all these popups worked fine there.  Not sure why the change of heart in 13, but in any case, thanks for the quick and easy solution to getting these popups fixed!

• 6 months later...

Just ran into this tonight on FM13.0v3.  OSX 10.9.4

Was thinking i'd spent too long away and forgotten how value lists worked.  But LaRetta's tweak fixed it for me.

Thanks LaRetta 

• 1 month later...

This topic is 3520 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.