"Minimize/Maximize" Portals - solution file attached with questions

TravisB

This topic is 3785 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Part of the database I am creating includes 19 portals across 3 tabs (10 on first, 5 on second, 4 on third) - with the likelyhood that more will be added. These portals are designed to help employees track status' that jobs are at.

I wanted to create a way to minimize/maximize portals as desired by the employee to make it easier to see what you want and only what you want.

I have been playing around and pretty sure what I came up with thus far will work, however due to the number of steps I feel there may be a better way performance wise as well as time wise for development. Just as reference, to minimize/maximize three portals there are a total of 14 tabs, 4 portals would be 30 tabs (I think), 5 would be 62 (I think).

Everytime you "minimize" or "maximize" a portal, the script evaluates which portals should be shown and then uses script step Go To Object to "activate" that tab (each time min or max is pressed, it will go to exactly 1/2 of the tabs created to ensure the proper "configuration" of tab layout).

Attached is the file I created, any advice or tips towards efficiency, or pointing me towards an already built solution is appreciated. I can also explain further if needed.

Thanks

MinMax Portals.zip

Part of the database I am creating includes 19 portals across 3 tabs (10 on first, 5 on second, 4 on third) - 

A lot of the work we do is finding and fixing performance problems and this is HUGE red flag.  Not knowing what the solution does or how much related data is in play here; but as a blanket statement I would very seriously encourage you to not do it this way and find different ways to let the users do what they need to do on that layout without the portals.  Especially if you ever want to use this database on the WAN or through WebDirect.

• Like 1

A lot of the work we do is finding and fixing performance problems and this is HUGE red flag.  Not knowing what the solution does or how much related data is in play here; but as a blanket statement I would very seriously encourage you to not do it this way and find different ways to let the users do what they need to do on that layout without the portals.  Especially if you ever want to use this database on the WAN or through WebDirect.

All of the portals are populated from relationships via different table occurances and is refreshed with a cartesian join - there is no portal filtering and the cache is never being flushed. Each portal shows a limited amount of records, hence why I have so many portals, each is refined down to very specific situations the job can be in.

Would it be much better to have less portals with more information being shown? What about less portals with filtering implemented? I could dwindle the portals down quite a bit with more information show in each portal and possibly having to implement some filtering (just guessing on the filtering, havent actually looked at it and thought about what to do yet).

This topic is 3785 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.