Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FM 13 on desktop/laptop

This topic is 3743 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

Very basic question here. I've used FMPA for many years on a desktop machine. I just, for the first time, acquired a MacBookPro. I installed 13 on it. I can set my desktop files to share via FileMaker peer to peer and this works. I also have files installed on the laptop. My question is this. If I make changes to the files installed on the laptop, what's the best way to keep the files in sync. Vice-versa as well of course. I know many of you are in the same situation and may have good solutions. I know I can upload to DropBox from either machine upon closing a given file and then download from Dropbox upon opening. I'm thinking more along the lines of spending a day or two off-line at my cabin on the laptop and coming back online in the city. The solution to this is obvious since there would have been no changes on the desktop machine in my absence. Simply copy the files over. But what about when small changes are made when one or the other machines are in use (by me)? Is it simply a matter of remembering which file is the most recent, or checking the modified dates on the OS level and copying them over? Better ideas?

Thanks,

Rick.

I used to have the same problem a few years ago. After having lost important data I decided to get rid of my Desktop G5 and work only on my MBP. At home I attach a 30" screen and a real keyboard (and trackpad) and I don't notice the difference anymore.

use the dev FMS license (http://www.filemaker.com/technet/dev_license.html)

The added benefit is that you can set up backups every 15 minutes or so and avoid losing work.

If you need to work offline for a few days, check out the file from server and put it local.  But there is never going to be confusion that FMS is the "master"

• Like 1

use the dev FMS license (http://www.filemaker.com/technet/dev_license.html)

The added benefit is that you can set up backups every 15 minutes or so and avoid losing work.

If you need to work offline for a few days, check out the file from server and put it local.  But there is never going to be confusion that FMS is the "master"

Thanks Wim,

I'm considering spending the reasonable fee and getting a subscription membership. I have absolutely no server experience. I assume I would continue any development on FMPA and the server software would be used for making the files available. I understand having FMS will provide a learning opportunity. Is the learning curve presented by serving up files considerable? Also, I assume the trial FMS software is active year to year dependent on renewing the yearly fee. Any advice is welcome.

Rick.

Me again Wim,

Currently if I want to access a shared file from my laptop the file must be open on the host (the desktop machine). If I decide to use FMS to host must FMS be running on the host machine 24/7 to allow access from my laptop? If so, what's the difference other than determining which machine is the master?

• 4 weeks later...

So, Rick 

Hope your days been a good one..

Catching you... and following this thread..    doesn't seemed answered?

Did you get a answer?

How easy is it to copy via FM, a Fmp12 file to Dropbox?   I have no clue yet..

I'd just finish a FTP and a Email attached.. latter is mucho slow

Drop box be simple a drag to cloud and drag back..

Can you share any code snippets

It always take me more time doing it or these kinds of things the first time,

Appreciated.. 

This topic is 3743 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.