Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Display scale of .jpg files

This topic is 3764 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a question that's probably more about image files than Container features, because I think my 'fix' will involve editing of the images rather than tweaking the database, but here goes.

I pull a lot of images off the web from various sources for a database holding picture of actors.  Of course these files come in a variety of formats and sizes but I usually convert them to .jpg files for storage.  On most files, when I drag them into a Container field, they behave fine, "filling" the field box appropriately to the edges, insofar as the proportions allow.

But with certain files, when I drag them in, they display with large white spaces won all 4 sides -- a buffered space, suggesting the file isn't displaying at 100% within the field frame.  I haver the "Padding" feature set to '0' on all sides, so it's not that.

When I open the images on my desktop they display 'full size' okay.  As a workaround, I can take a screen shot of the open image, save as.jpg and insert in the field and it's fine.  

But I'm inferring there must be some aspect of these image files that's 'telling' them not to display at full size in the context of the container.   Does anyone know what this issue might be, and how I change it in my image software?

Thanks!

Albert

(FMP 13, OSX 10.9.1)

I hope you're not storing all those images in your databases but rather in an external container. If you store them in the DB your solution will just keep on growing and that's not necessarily a good idea.

Do those images look good in Preview? Can you post some screenshots, please?

I heard someone else complaining about the same thing in FM 13, though.

Okay, here's an example of an image where I'm getting this superfluous 'padding' effect.

I'm using the new external storage option for my container fields, but the problem is the same for standard container fields with embedded storage.  Thanks for your attention!   

post-91156-0-54158400-1389567138_thumb.j

I though I did attach the file.  If you click on it, the browser gives you the opportunity to save it / drag it to your desktop, doesn't it?

It's 42.22K, under the 50K max for attaching images here . . . ?   Am I misunderstanding the attachment system?

Sorry, I didn't realize there was a file behind the thumbnail. Assuming the information wasn't stripped by the journey around the world-wide-web (and you can test this assumption by downloading the file and seeing if it still exhibits the same problem): I can't detect anything unusual about the file, except that it has an embedded resolution of 300x300ppi. Possibly (read: wild guess) Filemaker tries to honor this by squeezing the picture to fit 300 pixels onto a screen inch (which is normally either 72 or 96 pixels, depending on your platform).

If you click on it, the browser gives you the opportunity to save it / drag it to your desktop, doesn't it?

It's 42.22K, under the 50K max for attaching images here . . . ?   Am I misunderstanding the attachment system?

Very confusing because there is no indication that there is an attachment. In the future, please zip your attachments.

TIA

Lee

Okay -- I'll try to remember that.  The Attach options don't say anything about needing to zip smaller image files, though obviously if the file is bigger than 50K you need to do that.

At any rate, yes, the small file I attached is exhibiting the same problem behavior.

This topic is 3764 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.