Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Connecting to a FileMaker Pro 11 File via the internet

This topic is 3730 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello,

There are only three of us at this small company. One computer hosts a FileMaker database ... (I primarily work from this station). The other two employees connect to my database via "Open Remote". Then they connect to my FileMaker database when my computer shows up under "Local Hosts". One of these computers that is connecting to my computer is a laptop. Can the employee that works from this laptop take the laptop home and still be able to connect back to my computer at the office?

Yes, the office has a static IP address.

No, we don't want to use Instant Web Publishing.

All of the computers are Mac Computers (OS X 10.6.8) running FileMaker Pro 11.0v4.

Don't want to spend money for FileMaker Server or FileMaker Server Advanced. ;-)

Thanks  :-)

The laptop user will need to connect to the office network via VPN. Once this VPN connection is established, the remote user will be able to see databases shared by FileMaker Pro on your primary computer.

Here's a piece of software that will get you started:

http://www.netputing.com/applications/vpn-activator/

You'll want to set up the VPN server on the primary computer (where the databases are stored/shared from), and configure the laptop to connect to it using the native VPN client in OS X.

Here's a good overview of VPN technology and how to set up the laptop to connect when offsite:

http://computers.tutsplus.com/tutorials/how-to-use-vpn-on-your-mac--mac-46053

Hope this helps!

You're most certainly welcome.

I wanted to mention one last thing about working remotely with FileMaker: The laptop user won't see the databases in the "Local Hosts" section of the "Open Remote" dialog box.

They'll need to add the office computer's IP address (or DNS name) to the "Favorite Hosts" section of "Open Remote".

Here's how to do that:

http://www.filemaker.com/11help/html/fmp_basics.3.25.html

Only on the office computer.

If a VPN connection were a handshake between computers, VPN Activator lets the office computer reach out its hand, initiating the handshake, and the laptop just needs to reach its proverbial hand to shake it by setting up the VPN network interface (in System Preferences via the TutsPlus instructions) and establishing the connection (handshake).

Maybe that was a poor explanation, but hey, it's Friday!

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I am not trying to hi-jack this thread as my question is exactly the same but for a Windows environment, are there similar tools for windows as are shown in CDP's post.

This topic is 3730 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.