Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Basic server Questions

This topic is 3771 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I'm considering purchasing FM Server. Here is my situation. I have three machines on site, all on the same home network. A Mac Pro, a Mac Mini and a MacBookPro. The mini is only used as a media server and has plenty of room. The desktop is the most used machine and I use it for all general tasks. The laptop is a convenience. The demands on the server will be light as I'm the only user. Since the Mini is the least used machine I'm thinking it's the likely candidate for server installation. Good idea?

I would like to be able to develop the hosted files from either my desktop machine or my laptop. Am I correct in assuming there will be one set of files residing on the server machine and that when I want to tinker with them I would access those files remotely from either of the two non-server machines? In other words, unless I need to develop offline (I would grab the files from the server), only one set of files need exist?

I've read the getting started guide but am still unclear about these things. I have absolutely no experience with server software. I've been advised that using FMS is the best way of avoiding any confusion over which file is the master or the most recent version.

Thanks for any advice,

Rick.

Thanks Wim and Bruce,

A "Doh" moment for sure. Of course I would always open remote. If I want to enter data I do so. If I want to tinker with the file I do that. Just like having the files on one machine!

Rick.

I'm going to get FMS. I need a new project. Now all I have to do is figure out VPN.

Thanks for the help.

Rick.

If your referring to opening a file hosted on your server you can always use the FileMaker URL (bookmark) to launch a hosted file. OR you can have a single purpose filemaker file on your desktop with on on open script trigger to open the hosted file then close itself. Saves having to go to Open Remote. 

Remember that Filemaker install codes are linked to the registered user name associated with the code, you entered that part accurately also?

Hi Bruce,

Now that I'm away from the office I might have figured it out. On the Dev site I'm registered by first name then last name in different fields. I'm guessing that there's no space between the first and last. Of course my machine would auto enter my account name which does have the space in it. I'll find out soon enough. Otherwise a call to FM.

This topic is 3771 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.