How to move values from one table to another?

Andrew5

This topic is 3781 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Greetings. I have two unrelated tables in one DB. Database table "Main" has a portal with financial entries for clients: date, amount, description, etc. The second database is "Checkbook." Sometimes we need to draft a check with the same information that is keyed into that portal in "Main." 

Right now, we just re-key in that same information into the Checkbook table. 

Can someone point me in the right direction as to how to move values from one table to the other?

I could write a script that would use "copy and paste" 4 times over, but I'm sure there is a more sophisticated way to do that. Thank you.

Method 1:

Set 4 variables with the data you need from the 4 source fields; hop over to the Checkbook table, create a new record and set the 4 target fields to the corresponding variables.

Method 2:

Set 1 variable to the source record's unique ID. In the Checkbook table, create a new record and set a foreign key ID field to the source ID. Create a relationship between the two tables matching on the two ID fields and define the 4 target fields to lookup the data from the related record.

Copy and paste is not an option in this case, since [1] it depends on the fields being present on the layout and [2] it will destroy the user's clipboard for no good reason.

This topic is 3781 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.