Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Using ESS/ODBC: Exporting data from Filemaker to MySQL

This topic is 3744 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello everybody, 

I have FM11A (client for now) on a WinXP machine where I run also a MySQL server (5.5) for testing purposes. 

I have a database fully working on filemaker and I am developing a mirror MySQL database to go online.

My aim is to be able to perform bidirectional sync between Fm and MySQL leaving the 2 databases as entirely independent entities (so I would avoid to have FM write directly on MySQL tables, i.e. haveing Fm as front-end and MySQL as back-end)

I have been able to import the MySQL table (demographics) into the FM database (where another 'demographics' table is present) the 2 tables have exactly the same fields. 

When I open FM and Import records from MySQL using the shadow table everything works smoothly and I can see new records on the original FM table, as I wished. I am also able to write data directly on MySQL using FM layout. 

The issue here is to find the most efficient way to export records originally inserted in FM, in MySQL. 

- The old way would be to script an export to .csv file from FM, then loading new data to MySQL, maybe using a  temporary table inside MySQL

- The easiest way would be to export directly from FM into MySQL using the shadow table but it does not work:

a. Exporting from FM to the same file or to an ODBC source (MySQL) is apparently not possible (correct ?) 

b. When I open the MySQL shadow table from inside FM and Import new records (this time going from FM --> MySQL) it says records have been added in MySQL. but in the facts, nothing happened and when I go to MySQL the table is unchanged. 

Thank you in advance for your help, 

Diego

a. incorrect. You can create and update your MySQL records from FileMaker. Importing too.

b. various things can go wrong. You say you can write data directly... try doing an import of only a single field. Maybe there's a MySQL-side validation tripping you up.

This topic is 3744 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.