Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Popover from non button

This topic is 3698 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I like the new popover button. But is it possible to have the same thing happen when something other than a button is clicked (eg making a label or field into a button)?

Thanks,

Fed

Hi Fed,

At this time, you can only use a popover button to open a popover.  You can layer an invisible popover button over the other object to achieve the desired effect.  Be sure that the popover button is on top in the stacking order, at least for WD deployment, as WD does not support click-through.  (Alternatively, you could layer the popover button below the object and use a Go to Object script trigger on the top, clickable object; in that case, the object you want to "go to" is the popover panel, not the invisible popover button.)

HTH,

Mark

• Like 1

At this time, you can only use a popover button to open a popover. 

That's not correct. Give the popover (not the button, but the content panel itself) a name in the Inspector, then use "Go to Object", and the popover will open.

• Like 2

That's not correct. Give the popover (not the button, but the content panel itself) a name in the Inspector, then use "Go to Object", and the popover will open.

Sorry, eos, perhaps I'm missing something.  Is that different from my suggestion, above, to use a Go to Object script trigger? Sounds to me like we're saying exactly the same thing, in slightly different ways.

I believe (but would be happy to learn otherwise) that even with the Go to Object approach, you still need to place a popover button (visible or not) on the layout, in order to have a popover panel to which to go.

Mark

On re-reading eos' comment, I think he was objecting (correctly) only to my first sentence.  I should have written that "At this time, you can only use a popover button to place (rather than open) a popover."  That's what I meant, and should have said.  I'm not sure he made it though the rest of my post (tldr?) to see the part about using "Go to Object" to pop the panel open.

Thanks for the example file, Bruce.  So much more illustrative than just saying "do it this way."

Mark

One more thing worth mentioning, Fed…  

If you decide to use the Go to Object approach, you'll notice that the popover doesn't spring open like one opened directly by clicking on a popover button; it just unceremoniously appears in place.  You can restore the effect, however, by preceding the Go to Object script step with a Set Script Animation [On] step.  Personally, I love the bit of polish the effect adds.

Mark

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Dick,

I'm afraid an action is required to fire a script (unless you use a plugin; some can fire upon calculation change for example).  You might consider tooltips.

It is possible to show or hide a layout object by hover alone if it is an image but not a popover.  What are you using the popover for that you wish it to display upon hover?  :-)

This topic is 3698 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.