Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Value lists created from more than one field

Jarvis

This topic is 3745 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Is it possible to create a value list that consists of the contents of five different fields?

I have one table that is called WORKERS.

The table consists of five global text fields:

Worker 1

Worker 2

Worker 3

Worker 4

Worker 5

I would like to format this value list as a checkbox.

When a worker has been certified as being trained to perform a certain task their name would checked in the checkbox list as people we could draw upon to do that task.

Is there anyway to make this happen?

When a worker has been certified as being trained to perform a certain task their name would checked in the checkbox list as people we could draw upon to do that task.

Do you have a table of Workers where each worker has a unique record? If so, why not record the certifications there? Or, if there are multiple certifications to be had, create a table of Certifications (perhaps as a join table between Workers and Tasks) and enter each certification as a separate record in this table.

Numbered fields are almost never a good way to keep your data - and global fields even less.

Thanks Comment,

What I was trying to do was use the contents of a particular field as a button to launch a task assignment script.

The field WORKER 1, for example, is BillyBob.  When you clicked on the button that said Billybob the task assignment field would be populated with the name "Billybob".

If the field WORKER 1 was reassigned to Skippy the button would dynamically display the text "Skippy".

I was trying to also integrate a checkbox value list into the mix.

I accomplished this by doing as you recommended.

I created an ASSIGNED WORKER field then used a SETFIELD script to populate the records to equal values of WORKER 1, WORKER 2, WORKER 3 etc.

This way I was able to create buttons to assign the tasks and use checkbox value list to evaluate who was a viable candidate to assign the task to.

Thanks for your help on this one!

This topic is 3745 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.