User Interface

This topic is 8387 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

There are some good books on designing interfaces with Photoshop. But, if you have any specific quesions, maybe I can help. My latest work is not on our website due to it still being either in a beta stage or custom for specific clients, but I can send you examples and tips if you like.

Here is one very useful set of tips:

When designing your db, think about putting all the graphic elements into GLOBAL CONTAINER fields. Make a layout for all these fields. You do not need them to be full size, but it is useful to add very descriptive labels and to paste the graphic into the filed in this layout.

Being GLOBAL, they will appear on ALL records where placed.

In Layout mode, show SAMPLE DATA to see them.

Use the container fields on each layout you need to show the graphic element for placing more easily.

Set each field as GRAPHIC being centered and cropped.

To get the best sizing, make the field size of the container 1 pixel larger that the actual real graphic size, and ZERO border. This helps lining up and placement when doing complex designs. (I can explain this more in detail should you need it later)

Now, should you ever need to alter a graphic or add themes etc., you only have to place the new design in the appropriate container and it will reflect through the whole database. No more copy and pasting in onto every layout that contains the new graphic. This also helps reduce files sizes since there is only ever one copy of the graphic in the database.

Finally, for fast networking solutions, you can keep all the graphics in a LOCAL file on the user's HD, and the data on a no graphics version on the server. (Again, if you need more info abou this aspect, we can discuss it later)

If you find this set of tips totally incomprehensible and need more explanations, please indicate where and I will try to assist.

Good Luck,

Pickup the next copy of FileMaker Advisor Geoff Ryle, Albert Harum-Alvarez and Curtis Michelson. Wrote some articles about User Interfaces and what your peers are up to...

This topic is 8387 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.