Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Remote vs Local Settings

This topic is 3742 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I found some time ago that when viewing a web object on a local network vs remotely the url had to be different such as this.

NOT REAL NUMBERS....

Local     = "h ttp://192.168.1.25:8020/SuperContainer............."

Remote = "h ttp://122.432.1.84:8020/SuperContainer........."

So after determining if the client was on the local network or accessing remotely the web viewer used a conditional if statement like

If(Local=_true;use local url ; use remote url) ---- and this worked fine for displaying a web viewer object either being viewed locally or remotely.

Now we have been forced to a new ISP using a local cable company and I am having problems setting the base URL.  We have two modems.  The first is the cable modem with an address like: 12.1.14.4.  It has no wireless services so we have the second modem.  Everything coming to that modem forwards to a wireless modem that all local users connect to to obtain an IP address.  It also has a fixed IP to allow external access.  So it has an address like 191.1.212.94 for accessing remotely.

Up until this switch over setting the base url was always...  Set Variable($abc;Value:SCSetBaseUrl("htp://191.1.212.94:8020/SuperContainer/Files........  (In other words the fixed IP address)

Now that fails and I must use Set Variable($abc;Value:SCSetBaseUrl("htp://12.1.14.4:8020/SuperContainer/Files........ which is the cable modem address or Set Variable($abc;Value:SCSetBaseUrl("htp://192.168.1.25:8020/SuperContainer/Files........ which is the internal local server address.  So again I need a conditional if for setting this value.

Is this a problem for SuperContainer being behind two bridged modems? Is there a problem seeing the internet fixed IP address internally when it is easily seen remotely?   Is there another approach I should be using for setting the Base URL?  I don't expect anyone to solve a network setup problem here.  I just need to know if it is SuperContainer or the network that is a problem.

David

Hi David,

I don't think SuperContainer is the issue here. Once you can properly reach the SuperContainer server machine, everything works well, so the issue sounds like machines on your internal network cannot resolve the external IP address of the machine running SuperContainer server.

This topic is 3742 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.