Server Maintenance This Week. ×

This topic is 3715 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

My customer hate ID Fields, matter of fact they tell to keep them OFF their Layouts!!

So I struggle hiding them.  But Filemaker Needs them.

I've posted to FM suggestion.

Is there a why to color my "Field TEXT" to "CLEAR"  NO COLOR like the "OBJECT" is assigned FILL: NONE.

When I select the text color palette box with the red diagonal it defaults to "WHITE" Not "No Color"  Shouldn't the diagonal across the box mean NO COLOR??

I've tried conditional formatting but it is the same, WHITE TEXT.

I've been able so scoot around this issue for quite some time by coloring the layout and the ID Fields the same.

This however does not work in a portal with alternating Portal coloring.

Hiding the file does not work since most of my solutions are in 11 / 12 not 13.

And in 13, those HIDDEN FIELDS I need selectable and I have to do some fancy scripting to allow this field to be selectable, yet hidden when selected. Very annoying.

I've stacked fields over the ID fields but most of my customer need the OBJECT Clear so it see through to the ID fields.   So annoying.

My clients hate these fields to the Nth degree.  Please is there a way to "TURN OFF TEXT COLORING"

Thank you.

Tom

When you say ID fields are you speaking of primary key fields? There is never a reason to have these on a layout. If you're speaking of another kind of ID field, why not just take it off the layout? Nobody sees it that way, and it can still be used in calcs etc.

as an alternate approach use a tool tip and global variable  $$isDEV = true then only you can see the ID Field as needed for debugging, on the layout or portal just attach the tool tip to an object. Or perhaps if this is ONLY for debugging just put the reference field in the Data Viewer?

But as Rick mentioned I would recommend not displaying ID fields unless the end users need it for reference - like an Invoice number, - all key field references I would highly recommend using Get ( UUID ) 

Hey Tom you said "I've stacked fields over the ID fields but most of my customer need the OBJECT Clear so it see through to the ID fields.   So annoying."

What do you mean?  Are you using drop-down fields which show the ID?  If you use popup then they only seen the name.  You can also stack like you are and put the popup on top turning off entry to it and conditional format its FILL to go transparent if not IsEmpty(id field).

If you think you need to leave the ID on the layout because you are copying it then it works better to use Set Field.  The ID isn't needed otherwise.

HTH

Please provide a sample file with just your example if you can.  zip it first.  

Edited by David Nelson

This topic is 3715 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.