Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Questions about Filemaker on the Web

This topic is 8358 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

quote:

Originally posted by charper:

1) Other Remote Access Solutions:

What other remote access solutions are available for Filemaker besides Web Companion, FM Server, and Lasso (For FM 4.1 and 5.x)? How do these other solutions compare in terms of cost, number of simultaneous users, security, and fidelity?

I think you hit them all here.

Web Companion - max 10 IPs in 12 hours for normal Filemaker Pro. Unlimited access with Filemaker Unlimited.

Lasso - Interfaces with web companion, must use Filemaker Unlimited to comply with license agreement.

FM Server - Different remote access, as it only provides Filemaker "hosts" sharing, no Web Companion capabilities. Can also provide this functionality, with limited user/database quotas, using a normal copy of Filemaker Pro or Filemaker Unlimited.

2) Publishing Reports:

I

"...the built-in Web Companion is now multithreaded when serving static HTML/GIF/JPG files (but not database operations)..."

and

"I know with Lasso, you can execute scripts in DBs."

You can execute scripts in custom web publishing with the cdml -script tag. You cannot do very much with Instant publishing, at least prior to 5.5. And I cannot tell you if 5.5 has any way to allow you to run a script.

Now here is an interesting problem. If what John May has written is correct - the "multithreaded" WC of 5.5 Unlimited will serve static files but not database operations - then the problem of scripts colliding vis a vis near-simultaneous requests (whether actioned by cdml or Lasso) will continue in regards to proper notification that a script failed to run and the potential problems inherent to the database file(s) involved in the script not being run.

1) Other Remote Access Solutions:

What other remote access solutions are available for Filemaker besides Web Companion, FM Server, and Lasso (For FM 4.1 and 5.x)? How do these other solutions compare in terms of cost, number of simultaneous users, security, and fidelity?

2) Publishing Reports:

I’ve experimenting with Instant Web Publishing in 4.1 and 5.5. The fidelity of 5.5’s web pages are impressive except for the fact that they show only the BODY part of my filemaker layouts. Where’s the headers, footers, subsummaries, etc.? Does this mean that I can’t use instant web publishing to publish reports? I’ve got reports that have no body at all because they rely completely on subsummary fields. Can I get around this limitation of instant web publishing by using CUSTOM web publishing?

3) Record Level Security

I’ve read that Custom Web Publishing allows you to control what records a user sees based on the contents of certain fields. This means you have “Record Level Security” with Custom Web Publishing i.e. certain users can see only certain records. Is this correct? And this level of security is not available with Instant Web Publishing? Is this correct also? What I’d really like to know is, does FM Server (3.0 – 5.5) provide record level security?

4) Custom Web Publishing

What’s the difference between Custom Web Publishing with 4.1 and Custom Web Publishing with 5.5?

5) Running Scripts with Web Companion

I notice that Instant Web Publishing with 5.5, although it shows me exact replicas of my filemaker data entry layouts, will not respond to layout buttons that are attached to scripts. Is there a way around this? Do I have to go to Custom Web Publishing in order to have remote scripting capabilities? What about 4.1? Same deal?

Record level security

I make online (job) application forms that can be returned to by the candidate, so I need a form of "record level security".

Have username and password fields in the record. Set unique property on the username and/or password and set "exact match when searching" on the username and/or password fields in Lasso security setup.....tada record level security (Kind of smile.gif" border="0 )

laugh.gif" border="0

Don't use scripts if you can really help it (not ones that more than one person can access anyway) and don't use instant web publishing learn HTML and CDML/LDML.

If you're going to buy Lasso wait for Lasso 5 it sounds like it could be really good. I'm a bit worried about what they are going to try and charge for it though (lasso 3.6.6.5 electronic is $599 box $699 (i think)).

As well as supporting workgoup DBs like FMPro and 4D it supports enterprise strength DBs and can be used with mySQL (built in engine) or oracle et al (SQL databases). You can even make your own connections with the Lasso C API in Lasso Professional 5 if your a complete nutter!!!!

laugh.gif" border="0

Just wanted to say you might as well start with Lasso today if you're interested in it.

Blue World has already said that upgrades will be the difference in cost between 3.x versions and the new 5 stuff. Also, they're going to keep the language as backwards-compatible as possible, so no need to worry there either.

Expected release of 5 is "summer", so it could be as late as September, and the ISP version isn't due out until later than that.

- John

This topic is 8358 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.