Would appreciate input from you guys.

This topic is 3648 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello,

As you can see, my first post here. I'd very much appreciate a bit of input to a couple of questions I have regading FM Pro platform as I take the plunge to purchase FM13 Pro Advanced. I'm not a total newbie to Filemaker having used it some years ago, but I've a lot of catching up to do.

1) In developing a runtime solution can I serve that solution from FM Pro server? Having read docs I'm still not clear in my mind if the database files that are packaged in a runtime can only be local to the solution. What I'd like to do is effectivly create a shell solution which can open the database from a remote server. Then any changes I make to the database will propogate to all users.

2) I'm looking at a couple of hosting providers - quite drawn to http://www.filemakerhostingpros.com as they have a UK based server. Anyone have postivie/negative experience with this company. Noticed they advertise unlimited connections and webdirect which will be critical to some of the solutions I have planned.

Thank you in advance for your time. I'm looking forward to getting back in to Filemaker development, I did download the trail but then had heavy work commitments so only managed to get a few days hands on  - doh! Also can't wait for the day we can make runtime solutions for iOS with Filemaker Go Advanced :laugh:

Kind Regards,

David.

Hello,

As you can see, my first post here. I'd very much appreciate a bit of input to a couple of questions I have regading FM Pro platform as I take the plunge to purchase FM13 Pro Advanced. I'm not a total newbie to Filemaker having used it some years ago, but I've a lot of catching up to do.

1) In developing a runtime solution can I serve that solution from FM Pro server? Having read docs I'm still not clear in my mind if the database files that are packaged in a runtime can only be local to the solution. What I'd like to do is effectivly create a shell solution which can open the database from a remote server. Then any changes I make to the database will propogate to all users.

Welcome!

Runtimes can not be networked.  They can not work with data that is hosted on FM Server.  Runtimes are for single-use only, with that data that is contained in the runtime.

To get to what you want, the users need to have a copy of FMP installed.  With the files hosted on FM Server, the users do not need any part of the solution locally, everything is stored on the server so each user always works with the most recent schema and data

• Newbies

Welcome!

Runtimes can not be networked.  They can not work with data that is hosted on FM Server.  Runtimes are for single-use only, with that data that is contained in the runtime.

To get to what you want, the users need to have a copy of FMP installed.  With the files hosted on FM Server, the users do not need any part of the solution locally, everything is stored on the server so each user always works with the most recent schema and data

Thank you for this.

Kind of makes sense from Filemakers point of view, not that I was trying to get around licensing - it was more of a technical architecture I wanted to design to. Limits some of the work I had planned. Just been looking at the docs and the runtime is quite restricted - can't even save as PDF. Also no external SQL either. I think I've overestimated (and misunderstood on my part) what a runtime is capable of. Never mind,will have to think again on some ideas.

Kind Regards,

David

Hi David,

The reason descriptive titles are valuable is to assist others looking for answers to their similar problem.  It is more helpful when scrolling lists and reading titles as well as searching.   :-)

And welcome to FMForums!

But why would you make a runtime then?

Exactly.  To be pedantic ; a runtime (= the combination of the FM files with the FM "platform") can not be hosted by FMS.  The FM files that are contained inside a runtime can be hosted but for all intents and purposes that just like hosting regular FM files.

This topic is 3648 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.